Food Courts, Valpak and shared leads

Another perception (actually misconception) is that whatever they read on the Internet is true.

Kneeing. Ha. I can't wait to see the reply on that one. Oh well. When you play three games in four nights, and still have legs...that's a good sign.

That there is no such thing as an exclusive lead except for referrals is absolutely not true.

I'm not so sure... Just recently, I was working with one of my clients, and I sent her a proposal for some changes in her homeowners policy. The proposal included a proposal for life insurance.

She accepted the changes in the homeowners policy.

She wanted the life policy, but she shopped it first. Turns out, that my existing client, taking a cross-sell opportunity, decided that she wasn't exclusive.

You can end up with a shared lead that you work by yourself, or you can end up with an 'exclusive' lead that you work with 5 other agents. I agree with the sentiment, never treat a lead like you are the only one they can do business with.

Yes, I did get the life policy, not a big deal, but it was interesting.

Dan

I'm not so sure... Just recently, I was working with one of my clients, and I sent her a proposal for some changes in her homeowners policy. The proposal included a proposal for life insurance.

She accepted the changes in the homeowners policy.

She wanted the life policy, but she shopped it first. Turns out, that my existing client, taking a cross-sell opportunity, decided that she wasn't exclusive.

You can end up with a shared lead that you work by yourself, or you can end up with an 'exclusive' lead that you work with 5 other agents. I agree with the sentiment, never treat a lead like you are the only one they can do business with.

Yes, I did get the life policy, not a big deal, but it was interesting.

Dan

Very interesting anecdote...

Good lesson here. You got her before she turned into a "lead". I'm assuming you suggested the life because it was "good for her" not just because you wanted to sell her somethin'.

It's an important distinction.

Once she becomes a "lead" - let the feeding frenzy begin! What percentage of people who request a quote online do you think will ever do it again after they get done with the bombardment?

She would shop because she doesn't trust you totally. Probably unavoidable. Maybe now she does!

Had a similar situation recently, had a referral who wanted to buy something suggested by someone else, but from me. Since I didn't agree with the recommendation, I chose to pass. I think she was flabbergasted. Not much integrity out there...

Customers are shoppers simply passing through your store.

Clients are (usually) more loyal, but they do shop around if they feel neglected or that you have become complacent.

I have had a few clients leave for reasons other than finding coverage thru an employer that was "better", even if if was more expensive.

Never understood that one.

A few that left simply because . . . came back. One left an HSA because she could not get used to paying for doc visits & Rx out of pocket. She went to Mega.

Fortunately she never had a significant claim but she did discover the extra premium she was paying for the Mega "copay" plan STILL didn't cover all the doc or Rx.

She called me up last year after being gone a year and bought another HSA. But only after asking about a KP copay plan . . . which I showed her . . . and then explained what she got for her extra $185 per month in premiums.

I have had others, including prospects (from shared leads and even referrals) who looked at what I offered then bought from someone else.

Then they came back to me after the policy was issued only to discover the other agent either lied, or was incompetent.

Those folks are all clients but that does not mean they will never shop me or look elsewhere. But most of the time they stay, or if they leave, they come back

Let's see, where do I get my leads?

#1: I facilitate a Job Seekers group that meets every Tuesday night. Some have gotten STM from me, a few have referred me to their parents for Medicare Supps or MA Plans, I am currently working with one member of the group who is getting a HDHP Plan, so that benefits don't have to be an issue when she finds a job, and I got an e-mail from someone who just got a job, and will be relocating to another state in 3 months - another STM sale.

#2: I constantly stay in contact with Financial Planners, who don't want to touch health insurance, and refer me to their clients - pretty much a 98% close rate on that.

#3: I get, for free, a new business license list from one of the counties in this area, and call them, stating that I specialize in working with self-employed and small business owners.

#4: I conduct seminars at libraries and YMCA's in the area on topics such as Health Care Reform, Medicare and Long Term Care. I don't offer food, just information.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't know too many reps in my area doing that. They either belong to PowerCore, BNI, or a Country Club.

As the late, great Dan Fogelberg said, "Wealthy the Spirit that knows it's own flight, Stealthy the hunter, who sleighs his own fright, Wealthy the Traveller who journey's the length of the light." - I'll let you figure it out.

Back