Free Covid Test Kits Phone Calls

So..., are there penalties for providing a false Medicare Number to a phone caller (who is probably part of a systemic effort to gather Medicare Numbers for nefarious purposes)?

They're free to us old fogies. Medicare pays for them.

Not free . . . they are billed to your Medicare number. Check your MSN and look for charges you never "authorized", On another forum agents are reporting their clients are seeing suspicious charges on their MSN. Well, at least the folks who bother to check their MSN will see these . . .

Medicare coverage for at-home COVID-19 tests ended last week, but (May, 2023) the scams spawned by the temporary pandemic benefit could have lingering consequences for seniors.

Medicare advocates around the country who track fraud noticed an eleventh-hour rise in complaints from beneficiaries who received tests – sometimes by the dozen – that they never requested. It's a signal that someone may have been using, and could continue to use, seniors' Medicare information to improperly bill the federal government.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...medicare-scam-covid-tests-more-fraud-possible

Not free . . . they are billed to your Medicare number. Check your MSN and look for charges you never "authorized", On another forum agents are reporting their clients are seeing suspicious charges on their MSN. Well, at least the folks who bother to check their MSN will see these . . .

Medicare coverage for at-home COVID-19 tests ended last week, but (May, 2023) the scams spawned by the temporary pandemic benefit could have lingering consequences for seniors.

Medicare advocates around the country who track fraud noticed an eleventh-hour rise in complaints from beneficiaries who received tests – sometimes by the dozen – that they never requested. It's a signal that someone may have been using, and could continue to use, seniors' Medicare information to improperly bill the federal government.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...medicare-scam-covid-tests-more-fraud-possible
I meant no direct cost to me.

I think I posted about my 88 year old mother getting test kits and Medicare paying the company $96 for each. She insist that she never gave anyone her Medicare number but they got it. I called the Medicare Fraud Hotline for her and they said her account had paid 19 times. That was months ago and it hasn't stopped. Medicare sends updates on the progress of their investigation. Looks like they could just stop payment since they know who the provider is but they haven't done it.

Back