Godaddy Lost All Saved Emails!

insureitnow

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Yesterday morning I logged onto my Godaddy web based email account and could not access my emails. Called support. They said it must have something to do with my Blackberry deleting messages as I have the messages forwarded to it. Nonsense. They asked me to hold on a minute. They came back on the line and asked me to log out and log in. I did and now no emails at all. None! Over three years and thousands of emails in folders gone. They will give me no explanation but say they cannot retrieve them.
Now, this may seem trivial but my biz ran on email and I purposely used Godaddy and web based email as I felt this would be safest way to safe guard. How wrong was I?
More importantly, this is not something I can ignore. Way too much of a loss. I say deep in those Godaddy servers somewhere are my emails and I want them. Anybody else have this experience? Any ideas how I get Godaddy to resolve this? A lawyer is not out of the question at this point.

Last edited:
Does that take up much space on your computer? Also...it seems to be free. Is that right?

Not much space at all. Can't say how many emails I have, years worth, uses 435 Mb.

I like the fact it is searchable. Makes it nice when someone calls about a proposal sent last year. All I have to do is type in their name and I have all emails between the two of us.

They have a paid version for large corporate accounts but this one is free. Never had a problem. I archive once a week and back up all my database files daily to Carbonite.

It sounds like the email was set to POP3 instead of IMAP and your blackberry pulled the emails but didn't retrieve them.

I'm willing to bet that GoDaddy's TOS protects themselves from this.

If you're looking for reliable cloud email I recommend Google Apps.

Malcolm, can't you configure your email programs (possibly including Blackberry) to retrieve emails but leave them on the server? If the OP had 3 yrs worth of emails I would think he would have had this problem before now unless he changed his settings.

It sounds like the email was set to POP3 instead of IMAP and your blackberry pulled the emails but didn't retrieve them.

I'm willing to bet that GoDaddy's TOS protects themselves from this.

If you're looking for reliable cloud email I recommend Google Apps.

Never had this problem before now but thanks for the back up suggestion Somarco. Also, I had emails saved in folders that were there long before I even got the Blackberry. I cannot understand how all could be wiped out. I agree, there TOS will probably protect them but unfortunately I will have to take the time to read it as this is a hurt that needs attention.

Malcolm, can't you configure your email programs (possibly including Blackberry) to retrieve emails but leave them on the server? If the OP had 3 yrs worth of emails I would think he would have had this problem before now unless he changed his settings.

POP3 will push the emails from GoDaddy to your device and wipe your web-based email clean.

IMAP will push the emails from GoDaddy to your device and keep the emails in your web-based email.

If I had to guess I'd say this was the first time the OP used a device (like a blackberry) to retrieve emails from Godaddy's web email and they weren't aware of the possible consequences... and if that's the case then it's nothing more than user error.

++ on google apps email. Its rock solid. I'm still pissed at them for not giving us access to google+ if you have the business version, but it syncs right, the emails show up, postini is kickass.

It surprises me that godaddy doesn't have a retrievable backup of their system, most server banks keep backups.

Back