Google to Sell Insurance

Coffee is for closers! I could not find the YouTube, please post the link. I am pretty sure the $1.5MM house, the $1.2MM house and the $689k house I sold this week are not going to google :). Oh, I also cross-sold each an umbrella and auto package. The only people who should be scared are those who can't prospect and close. Oh, I also had lunch w/ an advisor who makes well over $1,000,000 in commissions and we talked about all the online competition he has. He just laughed!

http://youtu.be/qJP3oZj6uGs

Here you go my friend.

Last week I wrote a husband and wife, both medical doctors. Wrote their home, auto, boat, dwelling fire and umbrella. They came to me cause I saved them $800 a year.

A combined income of prob. $500k+ and they left their long time Allstate agent to save just $800 a year. The husband admittedly told me he felt bad for leaving because the his Allstate agent gave him and his family excellent service throughout the years.

The moral of the story... There is little to no loyalty these days, consumers have learned by the 6 billion dollars a year spent on advertising from insurance carriers, they can save money on insurance and what does this have to do with Google.

Google will have access to more carriers than your agency will ever have appointments with. As an Indy agent, you know if we quote you with enough carriers, you will always find a carrier that will save you money.

Look, I am not trying to convince you of anything. Looks like you think you will be around till you retire. I'm just sharing the information I have collect since I am very concerned for my future. Do what you want with it.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Looks like you got it figured out. I wish you continued success my friend.

----------

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Looks like you got it figured out. I wish you continued success my friend.

Ecclesiastes 1:9
A comparative raider on your agency website has been available for years. Most of us don't like it because it takes control away. However, I have a buddy that you can buy the flood policy on his website without ever talking to an agent. This is nothing more than another insurance agency with an awesome marketing budget. This is nothing new. The only people that this should worry or those that shouldn't be an insurance in the first place.

Honestly, after researching this and watching the video, I am really disappointed that this was not a more technologically advanced service.

Ecclesiastes 1:9
A comparative raider on your agency website has been available for years. Most of us don't like it because it takes control away. However, I have a buddy that you can buy the flood policy on his website without ever talking to an agent. This is nothing more than another insurance agency with an awesome marketing budget. This is nothing new. The only people that this should worry or those that shouldn't be an insurance in the first place.

Honestly, after researching this and watching the video, I am really disappointed that this was not a more technologically advanced service.

True, competitive rating website/companies have been around for years. However, if you listen to his interview, they are an online agency/broker. Also, they have access to data and billions dollars w/ Google involved. Again.. if you don’t see this as major game changer, you are BLIND!

Also, with your comment of “The only people that this should worry or those that shouldn't be an insurance in the first place”. That is a pretty silly comment. People that are concerned are REAL business owners that are looking to adapt so they can be around for the future.

Sounds like you got it figured out. Jim Keyes thought he had it figured out as well. Who is Jim Keyes you ask?... CEO of Blockbuster. His quote… “Neither RedBox nor Netflix are even on the radar screen in terms of competition”.

True, competitive rating website/companies have been around for years. However, if you listen to his interview, they are an online agency/broker. Also, they have access to data and billions dollars w/ Google involved. Again.. if you don’t see this as major game changer, you are BLIND! Also, with your comment of “The only people that this should worry or those that shouldn't be an insurance in the first place”. That is a pretty silly comment. People that are concerned are REAL business owners that are looking to adapt so they can be around for the future. Sounds like you got it figured out. Jim Keyes thought he had it figured out as well. Who is Jim Keyes you ask?... CEO of Blockbuster. His quote… “Neither RedBox nor Netflix are even on the radar screen in terms of competition”.
In the video, he told everyone how to beat him...... Regional carriers.
Also, just by the nature of his set up, his rates are not going to be competitive in coastal states/ areas.

Also, just by the nature of his set up, his rates are not going to be competitive in coastal states/ areas.

“In business, what’s dangerous is not to evolve.” - Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon

Oh by the way, they will be offering insurance in the next 6-18 months as well.

Cheers!

Regional carriers are pretty much the only reason i seriously considered breaking my captive contract. They are the game changers that can take you from a 50% close rate to 80 or 90%. If google ends up with the same products as every other brokerage it wont be any worse than a new agency opening.

Is google a threat? Sure but so are the dozens of other agents in town. They are doing the same thing in a new way, and it can be scary. But I still say the only customers you'd lose to them are the ones you'd eventuaally lose anyway and probably don't really want.

Of course, I could be wrong. Always thatchance. It will change how I do things slightly but I dont lose sleep over it.

I came across this thread a few weeks ago and have been thinking long and hard about all the different comments. Lots of times we want to bitch and complain or just live in fear. We have to remember we have the power still with the large national carriers (travelers, MetLife, SafeCo, etc). Let's stop bitching and put our heads together. Think about how many of us there are! We as independent agents need to come together and creat our own groups or online websites to figure out ways to push back against the large carriers from doing business with Google and Amazon. They need us to sell for them or they will go under. We need to take things to the extreme and come together. If you are in a cluster (SIAA, First Choice, etc) pressure them to tell the carriers we will push back. How? Do public campaigns in our communities about how big companies are closing down even more small businesses, have a day where we tell all agents to post on those carriers social media pages about what their doing to our small agencies, get the media involved they stories about big business hurting the small guy, start groups on Facebook and Twitter and bring in thousands of independent agents, and many other things! We have strength in our large numbers! Let's stop complaining and make **** happen! Remember they need us to sell their products. The American people I think are getting fed up with these big companies. If every independent agent in America spent $500 in a year on marketing to spread the word about this our customers would support us 100%. I know a few of you will comment back and say I'm a dreamer or a dumb ass. I ask that you not respond because that negativity takes us from why we are even on this forum. To learn, prosper and support one another!

You

I came across this thread a few weeks ago and have been thinking long and hard about all the different comments. Lots of times we want to bitch and complain or just live in fear. We have to remember we have the power still with the large national carriers (travelers, MetLife, SafeCo, etc). Let's stop bitching and put our heads together. Think about how many of us there are! We as independent agents need to come together and creat our own groups or online websites to figure out ways to push back against the large carriers from doing business with Google and Amazon. They need us to sell for them or they will go under. We need to take things to the extreme and come together. If you are in a cluster (SIAA, First Choice, etc) pressure them to tell the carriers we will push back. How? Do public campaigns in our communities about how big companies are closing down even more small businesses, have a day where we tell all agents to post on those carriers social media pages about what their doing to our small agencies, get the media involved they stories about big business hurting the small guy, start groups on Facebook and Twitter and bring in thousands of independent agents, and many other things! We have strength in our large numbers! Let's stop complaining and make **** happen! Remember they need us to sell their products. The American people I think are getting fed up with these big companies. If every independent agent in America spent $500 in a year on marketing to spread the word about this our customers would support us 100%. I know a few of you will comment back and say I'm a dreamer or a dumb ass. I ask that you not respond because that negativity takes us from why we are even on this forum. To learn, prosper and support one another! You

Amen! I am planning on getting appointments w/ regional carriers and stop writing the large national carriers. All my large carrier reps know how I feel about what they are doing to the small business owners.

The sad thing is, most agency owners will not do what you and I are. All they care about is today and not looking to the future. I suspect they all think they will be the ones to survive while other close theirs doors.

Back