Great ways to make money, when you're broke

Re: Ways to make money, when you're broke

There was a time I was completely broke but by thinking outside the box (so to speak), I earned $100,000.

I sold my virginity on ebay.

Rick

That was you?!?!?!?

I started flat broke, zero sales experience (or life experience for that matter), never got any training when I started, and everything including life insurance was "as earned". The odds were certainly against me. I was horrible on the phone, had no real natural market, had a shy personality, and very little product knowledge. Three years later I'm still here! Won't say it was easy, probably the most difficult thing I've ever had to go through. However, if you have a fierce desire to succeed you will find a way.

Great post :) Congratulations

If I was truly broke I would find a second job I could work off hours and I would sign on with someone who would provide me with leads or I would cold walk businesses. Once I had things moving I would drop the second job.

Beats going in debt.

Or selling your virginity on eBay . . .

What someone needs to start is a mentorship program. Experienced agents could design a site to commission split - the newbie gets a mentor - the mentor gets the business and splits the commish.

The problem is, a lot of senior agents simply do not want to commission split.

What someone needs to start is a mentorship program. Experienced agents could design a site to commission split - the newbie gets a mentor - the mentor gets the business and splits the commish.

But what would be the advantage for the senior agent. I can see a split if the newbie generated the leads and in that case I'd be happy to work with someone. (In fact, I offered to mentor Al for free).

Rick

This interesting model has been at work for sometime in the life insurance business.

Somehow you've got to make one plus one equal three.

If the "newbie" can expose the veteran to some markets he wouldn't have an entré to, it can be win-win.

But what would be the advantage for the senior agent. I can see a split if the newbie generated the leads and in that case I'd be happy to work with someone. (In fact, I offered to mentor Al for free).

Rick

It's tough. The only model that could work is the newbie would be responsible for generating the business or buying the leads.

The senior agent makes all the calls and does all the presentations while the junior agent listens in. I think that plays out better than having 80 agents all monitoring a call.

There would have to be a contract. The junior agent agrees to buy "X" amount of leads per week. So the senior agent gets free leads and a percentage of the business.

Problem is - you'd still need an altruistic senior agent. Why would he split a deal - even for free leads when he also has to train on top of it.

It would be more alluring to senior agents with a books who are scaling down and simply want to help.

It's tough. The only model that could work is the newbie would be responsible for generating the business or buying the leads.

The senior agent makes all the calls and does all the presentations while the junior agent listens in. I think that plays out better than having 80 agents all monitoring a call.

There would have to be a contract. The junior agent agrees to buy "X" amount of leads per week. So the senior agent gets free leads and a percentage of the business.

Problem is - you'd still need an altruistic senior agent. Why would he split a deal - even for free leads when he also has to train on top of it.

It would be more alluring to senior agents with a books who are scaling down and simply want to help.

I'm too altruistic... I have a few "needy" agents that I've adopted this model with, and I'm only making a modest override...

The teacher often learns as much as the student in my experience.

Everyone gets something in return for their actions.

Most old-school agents have good work ethic and teach newer agents who they like and who are teachable. Either through watching or listening or reading , the lessons get soaked up.

Your expertise in the industry does not have to keep you from other big money ventures. Especially if you have some spare time for your entrepreneurial drive and good business sense. The big money is always in marketing your system that works for you over time . If your testing and products/services are complemented enough and when you see the value enough , maybe then you can put it all together and roll the dice. If you communicate well , you build a following and then you build more sales profits.

Put yourself in front of the right people in the right way and you can apply your product, services, skills and talents to a lot of different areas... not only what you currently call your profession.

I'm broke though :-) ... so don't listen to me .

slim

brother can ya spare a dime ?

Back