Help! Insurance dilemmas after total loss auto.

Zeppo103

Hi! I'm quite stressed after a car accident and would appreciate a little guidance. A lady ran a stop sign and plowed into me and it looks like my vehicle will be a total loss. I have full coverage via Geico, but was hoping on some insight on 3 issues:

1. Extending rental car time. My policy covers a rental up to 30 days and I've been using one for the past week. Trouble is, I'm authorized through Thursday, when my adjuster estimated he'll finish. It sounds like I'll only have a car until the claim is considered "settled" when they cut me a check, but that doesn't come close to making me whole because I'll need a vehicle to find a car.

I live into the boondocks, with zero public transport, and can only afford something used. Last time, it took me 2 months to find something decent (getting beaten to good deals, etc) and the car market is much tougher now. I can't go past the covered time, but could I reasonably argue that I will need the rental vehicle for the full 30 days so I can go see various cars, etc? Otherwise, I'll have to pay for some kind of rental out of pocket while I get a replacement, which defeats the purpose of rental coverage. Is the guiding principle here when the claim is considered "closed", or compensation for expenses I'll have to incur by not having a car for that full 30 day period?

2. Accurate car valuation. I'm worried about getting a reasonable value for my vehicle, especially with current inflation. What's the best way to find accurate comps that could be used to negotiate that sum, if needed? Is it enough to gather amounts from Kelly Blue Book, or comparable vehicles of the same type/condition/mileage, or is there a specific way to know whether I'm being unfairly lowballed or not?

3. Fixing the car anyway? If the cost of repair isn't wildly disproportionate vs the value of the car, I may want to keep it. Finding an affordable car in the condition/type of my vehicle in the market will be challenging, time consuming, and costly in other ways (not having reliable transportation, gambling on hidden issues, etc). I have a feeling the repair costs won't be *that* much higher than the value of the car, so I may throw in an extra grand or so if needed to repair it on top of what Geico gives me, even if that means it'll be a salvage title. But my questions are:

a) How do I go about this? If I go this route, can I still get it repaired with Geico's authorized repair shop that did the estimate, or am I on my own and have to have it towed to some random repair place?

b) How do I know what types of damage are worth repairing, and when the car will have future issues no matter what I do? For reference, here's a photo of the damage - I got hit right in front of the driver side door, including the wheel well, etc:

Thanks so much, would really appreciate any insight!

A) why are you bothering Geico if the other driver hit you
B) You get a rental from her policy if she is found at fault and you start looking Day 1.
C) Your rental will stop as soon as you get a check for the vehicle.
D) Reach into your own pocket if you need to get additional time to find a car and submit that bill to Geico along with any medical bills.
E) a salvaged/totaled vehicle cannot be registered in many states or has limited time on a registration. You can only carry liability in it since it has been "paid for".Why go through the hassle?

That looks like a 2013 or less year ?I had less damage that that on a 2017 and they totaled it out . The est to fix it must be less than 75% of the value of the car or it’s totaled out with many CO’s . I’m willing to get they total that out.

Last edited:
1. Extending rental car time.

Your policy is a contract. The Rental Reimbursement section is part of that contract. It says what the insurance company must pay you under your given set of circumstances, no more, no less. You can ask for and argue anything you want but the contract is the contract. If there are any any exceptions to be made, the company may make them but is not obligated to do so. I suggest you read the coverage section and then ask the adjuster for the additional time. No guarantees.

2. Accurate car valuation.

Let's start with this. Everything thinks that their cars are worth more than they are. You can compile information from KBB, Edmunds, and NADA. You should also pull ads from Craigslist, Auto Trader, and dealers for comparable vehicles. If you don't like what the insurance company comes up with you can invoke the "Appraisal" provision of your policy. Find it and read it. Though I suspect you'll spend more on the appraisal process than you'll get added to the settlement.

3. Fixing the car anyway?

Have you gotten GEICO's repair estimate yet? If not, get it. Also get one or two estimates from other body shops. If the car is a total loss you can elect to keep it but GEICO will deduct the salvage value (10% to 15%) and you'll have your deductible. Doesn't often pay because you may have to come up with lots of cash for the repairs unless you want a cut rate repair job from Hole In The Wall Auto Repair or can do some of the repairs yourself. And you'll end up with a salvage/rebuilt title.

Back