Honest Advice

Everyone is so negative about starting out part time on here. If you have realistic goals set and don't think you're going to make 10k next week than why couldn't you.

Everyone always says you cant, to them I say watch me. Bob Parsons comes to mind at the moment because I just watched a video of his which said: Work on your career full time and your fortune part time as long as you have to.

I think you will find Life insurance to be the easiest way to do this part time, not AFLAC (unless you want to lose all your friends) partner up with a good GA in your town who can run appointments with you or has a good agent to send with you to learn. Insta-credibility and still make some extra money learning. Feel free to email me with where you live and I'll give you some names if I know anyone in your part of the country.

AFLAC will pay you an advance of 63% on your sales commissions. If the employee quits you owe a chargeback to AFLAC. If you write good business it could be ok, but if the company doesn't pay the bill you owe them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If your no-pay rate gets to high AFLAC will stop advancing you. AFLAC will pay as earned and it will take a long time to get out of the negative

Last edited:
I didn't mean to be negative, I just meant that I can't see part time working with AFLAC. There are some other insurance areas where it might work better.

Who wants a part-time agent? Do you use a part-time CPA, part-time attorney, part-time doctor, part-time mechanic? Sure, you might do a good job for them, but if you don't have all your time to dedicate to your craft, odds are you will miss things and make mistakes.

I'd be pretty pissed if I called my "agent" and he couldn't talk to me, or told me he'd have to call back because he was "at work".

What he said. "Can you" work part-time in this industry? Sure. "Will it work?" NO! But he can go ahead and follow whatever bad advice he gets - follow the hordes of "part-time real estate agents."

I will take the positive route here...

Can you do this part time? Depends on what your current full time situation is.

I did part time some years ago but I also had a job in outside sales that allowed me lots of free time. So, I could make calls, set appointments and run the appointments during normal business hours.

If you have a desk job that you cannot focus on your insurance career for 40+ hours a week, you will have a very very hard time getting insurance going.

I started out with Aflac. Their one week sales school was very good. I paid for it but got the money refunded when I finished. Spent almost a year learning the ropes, pounding the pavement, making calls and selling group policies. The local district training was great but a lot of districts are sub par.

We had about twelve agents in our office and not one of us was making more than 2k a month and most half that (except the district and regional manager). Several of the agents had been there for three to five years and they needed their wives to be the breadwinner.

Aflac also seems to be top heavy in management. Way too many levels to deal with. Way too much office politics. Way too much coming up with new procedures and then changing their minds.

You will need at least $1700 to purchase your own computer to write business and they will not let you have one for a while. Your own laptop will not work as they have their own units pre-loaded with the necessary software. (As I was leaving, they were just coming out with a $650 unit that would enable you to be able to use your own laptop but you still could not purchase it until you got to a certain level.) Imagine you need to write business on a computer but not having a computer avaliable. Many offices do not have extra computers avaliable for their new agants.

The paperwork is extremely confusing and time consuming, to the point that it is ridiculous. It's as if someone in corperate comes up with something but has never worked the field.

They claim to lose 88% of new agents within the first year but I think it is higher than that. Not one of us, out of 17 in sales school, are still working for them and I'm the only one that did make it for a year.

My goal, in the beginning, was to hit Aflac running (I did earn a couple of sales awards) and to get my feet wet, learn the ropes and to make some good contacts in the insurance industry. Mission accomplished. I have since gotten my P&C license and moved on to bigger and better things. I am very thankful for the sales/motivation/mindset training that I got from Aflac but honestly, I cannot recomment it as a carreer.

PS: Great products. I have seen lives changed and households saved as a result of receiving the payouts on a policy..many, many times. I still cary two of their policies.

Surfy

I met with a Colonial Life guy a couple years ago, he was an Aflac guy for 3 years. He made the switch to Colonial Life and in 5 years tripled his income, or so he said anyway. If you are hellbent on selling vol maybe you should consider them.

Back