Hot Medicare News

I would never consider a Community rated Med Sup. It never worked to their advantage. They start out paying too much in hopes the insurance company will just not Jack the rate up too much in the future. Nope! It never goes that way. When they do raise their rates it’s a huge rate increase and your clients are pissed because they always claim they thought they couldn’t get a rate increase.
It does not matter if a company has an attained age rate, issue age rate or community based rate, they are going to experience the same increase in claims rates so all will have rate increases.

It does not matter if a company has an attained age rate, issue age rate or community based rate, they are going to experience the same increase in claims rates so all will have rate increases.
Yes but if you pay WAY too much in the beginning in hopes that the insurance company out of the kindness of their heart will let your rate eventually be lower than your friends on attained age plans, you will be disappointed.

Of course they add the AARP discount based on age so it works similar to attained...

Agreed. The discount that AARP adds to their policies makes it a psuedo-community rated program. I sell a lot of UHC because they're generally very competitive all over the state. It doesn't hurt that they pay me for 6 years instead of the base 3.

My point wasn't specifically about AARP. It was that I don't offer the option to do the "unstable company" because I'm an advisor, not a salesperson. My criteria matter. The comment about AARP is because they fit my criteria here AND I prefer them because I get lifelong fyc, not just 3 years, not that she should sell them.

BINGO.

Right there with you. We don't sell...we advise. I give people the option of the least expensive but they have to promise not to yell at me if they want to move later and cannot get through underwriting. Very few go that route. Cigna right now is passing out pretty bad increases and I had a call that started with "I promised not to yell at you but this increase is ridiculous."

"Yep. And you are on Eliquis now and can't get through UW. Want to move to an Advantage Plan this fall? Just do me a favor and speak with your doctors to confirm which ones they take. And if they say "XYZ", I need to know if its HMO/PPO or both." (Then the docs tell them they are nuts and we move on)

What I will do is move people 72+ from Blue to whatever is cheapest because at that age, saving $2K a year will make up the difference in 5 years. But most people I deal with don't care and say "Nah. I like Blue" I have moved a ton to the "new" UHC in the last 18 months but an equal amount still hate AARP and won't discuss it. Whatever. As long as mine name is on the app, I really don't care. (As long as they don't tell at me)

Both UHC and BCBSTX pay me lifetime commish, so that's equal. UHC is paying me significantly more on years 1-8, but....oh well. Life's tough in the big city.

Great way of doing business, let the Dr. decide which plan they should choose. Maybe look up the Drs. for your client since you give them unbiased information and let them decide. Med Sup only agents give out more false information then agents who sell mostly MAPD's. Use every scare tactic available to get them to choose Med Sups. To each their own I guess. I will continue to offer both.

Back