How do I begin as a Independent Agent in CA

Please Contact Via Email [email protected]... I Am Appoined With Dozens Of Companies And Have Been Independent For Years..it's Easy And I Can Show You How To Do Quickly. I Have Offices All Over California

Actually, any agent in the Los Angeles area who would like to talk can contact me. I'm always happy to help and probably have more to offer than some others.

Except humility... and judging from this post... a good grasp of reality.

Al3

Al, the difference between the two of us is I actually understand insurance. Have you ever posted anything of value other than your opinion of how bad a company might be on this board? And usually this is after you post how much you like a company (ie. Aetna).

I can't imaging a new agent or any agent for that matter receiving any meaningful help from you. Fortunately, your clients are as ignorant as you are.

In addition, a few months ago you posted if it was a good idea to keep your massive amount of money in Countrywide. Yesterday you posted how they are FDIC insured, etc, etc. Did you just learn this or did you want to let us know that you had bunch of money there? You also posted how you can afford any suit made as if we give a rats ass! It was obvious then, and obvious now that the only reason you post is to let us know how much money you have, how much your home is worth, how much you love Macs and how much you hate YIO.

Your questions are always phrased something like "is this a scam" rather than just asking a question. You answer questions (ie. Final Expense) when you haven't the slightest idea of who even purchases that type of policy.

You add nothing to this forum and we would be better off if you leave.

Now I will await your usual crap reply where you answer each and every sentance with another reply.

I hope people have a chance to read this before it is removed by the management. I await your compliant to Sam (again).

Rick

Last edited:
Now I will await your usual crap reply where you answer each and every sentance with another reply.

Not necessary. This is just one of your little temper tantrums and another exhibition of your inability to manage your anger.

For someone who claims to be as successful as you say you are, you seem to be very threatened by someone whom you claim isn't.

Sometimes your posts are brilliant. Sometimes they are just cruel. Most often they are simply mean-spirited. I don't know your psychology, but I'm somewhat secure that there is close to 600 miles between us. I wish it were more.

It reminds me of what the old French foreign minister, who like all of France was historically terrified of Germany (with good reason) said about East and West Germany right after WW2. "Two Germanys is good. Three would be better."

Al

I'm a newbie in CA at Life and Health. I don't have any appointments with anyone yet. I'm looking for advice on who might offer appointments to new licensees with no exp. or book of business. I'm seeking to become an independent agent. i know this isn't the easiest way to begin but i still would like to give it a concerted effort. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

I am new to the individual side also and I was wanting to have direct appointment with carriers but I know I need the training and support offered through brokers. I just signed up with Independent Health Insurance Agent Association at Independent Heatlh Insurance Agent Association - INDEPENDENT HEALTH INSURANCE AGENT ASSOCIATION  . A member of this forum John aka "healthagent" started this association up and it is a program that offers that support, training, etc. that you would get through brokers, but yet you still contract direct with carriers. I am really excited about this. I spoke with John tonight (he even called after hours when I asked) and I feel much better knowing I have someone knowledgeable that I can turn to and ask questions.

This association is exactly what I wanted and would probably be exactly what you are looking for. Between this forum and IHIAA, I know I will reach my goals a lot sooner then I ever would have figuring it out on my own!!

I am sure John's group would be of value to new and/or stuggling health insurance agents. I just want to point out again that for California, the carriers all have a Regional Sales Manager (or similar title) who is available to train on products, holds regular training seminars/workshops, and will go out on sales calls with agents. In addition they are a great POC between the agent and carrier, especially with individual underwriting.

Also, I missed the earlied question from The Do concerning E & O coverage. Both Blue Cross and Blue Shield in California offer an E&O program for contracted agents (no minimum production requirement) which is good and runs under $500 a year.

Hi all

I'm curious as to why everyone recommends going direct to a health carrier? It took me a while but I've found an agency that I like. They do what they say and I can get about 5% or more by going through them.

Since I'm a "seasoned" agent the initial training wasn't an issue for me.

I can basically write anybody through them through a system they have and it's a lot less hassle than being appointed in 6 different places.

Hi all

I'm curious as to why everyone recommends going direct to a health carrier? It took me a while but I've found an agency that I like. They do what they say and I can get about 5% or more by going through them.

Since I'm a "seasoned" agent the initial training wasn't an issue for me.

I can basically write anybody through them through a system they have and it's a lot less hassle than being appointed in 6 different places.

It may vary by state, but in California there is no GA/FMO override for health insurance (IFP). Thus, the primary agent on all IFP contacts in CA is going to be the GA/FMO, not the writing agent. In addition to losing a part of the overall commission (say 7% versus the full 10%), you lose the vesting option and cannot ever sell your book of business. A very bad deal for lifetime vested products.

Dave,

Hopefully this question makes sense. For cases involving HIPAA, can the client have access to all programs offered by the new carrier, or are there restrictions to plan Z only, etc. Thanks again if you could address.

HIPAA depends on carrier. Blue Cross pays a flat 5% on submitted premium. Blue Shield pays between 2.75-3.50% on submitted premium depending on your production tier. Health Net pays 20%/10% standard but on the adjusted premium (tier 1 underwritten premium). Kaiser and Aetna do not pay commission on HIPAA business.

Back