how do i counsel this client on her Part B problem?

I've been doing Medicare insurance for over 25 years. For most of that time, paying Part B premiums was not an issue for my clients because the vast majority of my clients were retired and/or receiving Social Security benefits, so the premium was automatically deducted.
But it's different now. I wised up and started marketing to T65, which was a demographic that I just ignored for years; I stayed very busy mostly just working referrals from my clients. That worked great for me back when I was married and raising four kids. I wasnt working nearly as much as I do nowadays.
My kids are grown, most of them young adults, so now I have a lot more time to work and I am loving it! Nowadays I am always prospecting and I work T65 leads quite a lot.
So, I have noticed that i have several clients who are on Medicare but are not receiving Social Security benefits. These clients have to pay their Part B premiums themselves and I currently have a couple of clients who have fallen way behind on their payments. I have a client who recently received an invoice for over $1200 for her Part B premium...And she hasn't got the money to pay it. Now she may lose her Medicare benefits. I don't know what she was thinking would happen. Maybe she thought the Part beekeeper would take care of everything.(OMG I can't believe I just made that cringy joke. sorry)
But seriously, I havent had to deal with this before. Does anyone know how I should counsel her? How long does Medicare wait before dropping someone? Do they allow payment plans? If someone at least makes a monthly payment going forward, will that at least prevent them from being dropped? Does anyone know how Medicare works with people who are delinquent with their premiums?

If someone is that broke, they should qualify for a MSP will pay Part B premiums. As long as they arent asset-rich. Refer her to the Medicaid office.

Medicare doesnt do payment plans. I think its 3-4 months delinquency until it will be cancelled.

Last edited:
If someone is that broke, they should qualify for a MSP will pay Part B premiums. As long as they arent asset-rich. Refer her to the Medicaid office.

Medicare doesnt do payment plans. I think its 3-4 months delinquency until it will be cancelled.
If a person is canceled or never paid it can they reinstate?

But seriously, I havent had to deal with this before. Does anyone know how I should counsel her? How long does Medicare wait before dropping someone? Do they allow payment plans? If someone at least makes a monthly payment going forward, will that at least prevent them from being dropped? Does anyone know how Medicare works with people who are delinquent with their premiums?
I get a few of these every year working in the business market.

Medicare doesn't play when it comes to part B premiums. They'll drop you like a hot potato. And no to the payment plans.

Sometimes, a partial payment can extend her for a month but that's rare and really depends on exactly when that payment hits to avoid termination.

The good news is that if she's dropped she can reapply in January with a Feb effective date. There may or not be a LEP. I've seen it both ways.

More good news is that she'll get a complete do-over. She can apply for a supplement with no health questions. Just look for a company that doesn't ask if she's had part B before.

Back