How do you guys handle existing client needs?

You need to buy make the video look more professional and not like the crap you see on youtube. That is how you differentiate yourself.

This requires professional lighting, audio, camera and editing software. It would cost me about $10,000 to get set-up or half of that if I wanted to purchase used equipment. You already have a camera, which is ok for starters, but you'll want to use lighting and better audio as their quality is not professional and that will hurt you more in the long run.

You'll notice that the videos on the websiite you provided look great. They are professionally lite and sound engineered. I know this because I'm expert in video production and I have 2 Telly Awards under my belt, so I can recognize the good from the bad.

This doesn't mean you need to go out and purchase lighting. In all honesty, once you understand the basics of video/film production, it's amazing what you can do with things around the house, it's just a lot harder to do. If you're serious about doing this the right way to market you'll want to ensure that you portray a consistent message. There are numerous ways to set up shots that will invoke certain feelings and emotions from your audience. I recommend you take an introduction course to video production and/or hire a local college student to help you pic .

Although I like the idea of your video, it can be improved by not doing the following

1) Never stay on a long shot for the entire video. This is what amateurs do because they don't know anybody and haven't received and film/video production training. The sequence is normally long, medium,close-up... and then repeat the sequence. If you're going to make a short video use a medium shot.

2) You ALWAYS want to use light to draw your audience to an area (This would be you). People have a natural ability to seek out the brightest area on a screen, which is the bottom right corner. This is followed by the 2nd most important area consisting of movement in a shot.

3) If you do not have professional audio equipment, play around with the camera mic so it is not undermodulated.

I'd be more than happy to critique a video if you want some professional input. I won't be too harsh :)

Prior to my separation from the USAF I set up a training program to train NASA videographers and future airmen, so you can be assured I know what I'm talking about. Now you got me thinking about videos again :)

Hope this helps.

Thank you Sal, it does help. Being all my extra coin must go to marketing insurance, I will have to wait to get to that level. Maybe just answering questions with the webcam if I cant reach them on the phone would be a good start. Luckily I live in a film friendly area. I could be in a breathtaking mountain environment in 20 minutes and use that as my backdrop. It will not be perfect but it will have to do until I get to the next level. Thank you for the input and I really like your blog. I have been there like 4 times in the 4 days I have been a member at this site. Very informative! :noteworthy:

</IMG></IMG>

JR I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think making it "professional" is going to make it too "slick" for the intended purpose. Not that it can't be improved on but remember he said that he planned on doing a lot more in the way of production, wardrobe, scripts, etc.

He seems to be a really nice guy and a "real person". I'm sure that plays very well with his prospects and clients. He comes across as the "guy next door" who just happens to sell insurance. The kind of person I would prefer to deal with. A nice touch of humor when talked about singing.

I really like the casual tone of the conversation and I think having his son in the video was a huge plus. I'm not a client of his but it brought a smile to my face knowing he did one just for me.

Outwest, I vote to keep it warm, friendly and spontaneous.

Selling the HSA is easy . . . once you get past customer resistance to dropping copays. I take them thru in steps. About half the time they buy a plan without copays, the rest go all the way to HSA. Maybe 5% of my clients insist on copay plans.

Thank you Sal, it does help. Being all my extra coin must go to marketing insurance, I will have to wait to get to that level. Maybe just answering questions with the webcam if I cant reach them on the phone would be a good start. Luckily I live in a film friendly area. I could be in a breathtaking mountain environment in 20 minutes and use that as my backdrop. It will not be perfect but it will have to do until I get to the next level. Thank you for the input and I really like your blog. I have been there like 4 times in the 4 days I have been a member at this site. Very informative! :noteworthy:

</IMG></IMG>

Thank you for kind words. I try to provide valuable information that benefits insurance agents. I do like your idea and don't think you'll run into many issues doing what you're doing because I speculate the competition is making videos.

JR I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think making it "professional" is going to make it too "slick" for the intended purpose. Not that it can't be improved on but remember he said that he planned on doing a lot more in the way of production, wardrobe, scripts, etc.

I can appreciate that, but slick is professional. Are you going to wear a pair of shoes that haven't been polished in 2 years...I'm not.

I was told repeatedly by numerous people that I shouldn't go crazy on my shoes looking pristine when I got out of the military because civilians don't do that. That may be the case if I was concerned about pissing off somebody who didn't take pride in their appearance by going the extra step.

The same could be said about a car, watch, hair, video, etc. He has his way of doing things and I have mine.

He seems to be a really nice guy and a "real person". I'm sure that plays very well with his prospects and clients. He comes across as the "guy next door" who just happens to sell insurance. The kind of person I would prefer to deal with. A nice touch of humor when talked about singing.

I do agree with you that the video comes off very warm. I look at productions from a professional eye first and then from the audience. He probably took a maximum of 1 hour to shoot that video if you factor in learning how to use the hardware/software and make a few practice trials. My way would add another 1-2 hours depending upon how in-depth I wanted to go. It's just a different way of doing things.

I really like the casual tone of the conversation and I think having his son in the video was a huge plus. I'm not a client of his but it brought a smile to my face knowing he did one just for me.

Agreed, I like the video as well, but he did ask for input and I let him know some ways of how he could maximize the effectiveness of the video.

I can appreciate that, but slick is professional. Are you going to wear a pair of shoes that haven't been polished in 2 years...I'm not.

I was told repeatedly by numerous people that I shouldn't go crazy on my shoes looking pristine when I got out of the military because civilians don't do that. That may be the case if I was concerned about pissing off somebody who didn't take pride in their appearance by going the extra step.

The same could be said about a car, watch, hair, video, etc. He has his way of doing things and I have mine.

I do agree with you that the video comes off very warm. I look at productions from a professional eye first and then from the audience. He probably took a maximum of 1 hour to shoot that video if you factor in learning how to use the hardware/software and make a few practice trials. My way would add another 1-2 hours depending upon how in-depth I wanted to go. It's just a different way of doing things.

Agreed, I like the video as well, but he did ask for input and I let him know some ways of how he could maximize the effectiveness of the video.

Thank you both for your input. The video I made for Frank was just thrown together quickly. It took longer to bribe the boy for his lines than to do the whole deal. I was not dressed as I would be for a normal shoot.

Both of you are right IMO. I am not a "slick" type salesmen in the way of overpowering my will on people. I use my likeable qualities to make an offer and see if it is a good fit. We are moving back to the western part of Colorado that includes many ski towns. I lived in Aspen for 10 years and we would always laugh at the poor slug wearing a suit or tie because,
A. He was horribly over dressed
B. It was obviously his 1st time there
C. He knew it.

This does not mean I will look like I did in the video, but casual business dress will work. I threw that together just for Frank and his post about email not being personal.

Sal, you make a great point on how it does need to look better. I have a buddy that helps me edit videos that knows what's up when it comes to filming. He is a videographer. I will use him when I'm ready to shoot the real deal. Until then I will use it for B-Days and such and to thank them for doing business with me after I close them and they get through underwriting.

I wonder by using John and the other guy's(sry) script asking them if I can send them a free report by fax and they say sure, I can email them safely under spam laws.

Thanks again for the comments.

PS. Had I known that over 50 of you were going to watch the video, I would have done a better job.

Hit Craigslist - go to the creative services section and search "videos." If you live in a decently populated area there's no shortage of starving videographers.

You could also hit a local college and find a film student - post a flyer on the campus board.

I agree that it should not be be "too" professional. Then I think, ironically, it would have little effect. It's a mix between professional but still with that home made feel.

And as long as a prospect gives you their email adddress you can email 'em safely.

381883_1204835250_med.jpg

381883_1205068435_med.jpg

I send personalized cards to keep my clients calling me. You want them to call you because the more they do the longer you keep em. The longer you keep em the more referrals you get.

They get a card almost every month from me. Most are just how are things and Happy Birthday. The more they think of me the more they refer me when someone starts talking about MA's

Here's the latest. I signed up for netquotes leads and got my 1st one in yesterday. A 22 year old living fairly close to me. I called within an hour of her submitting it with no answer, shocker. I called again today and left another message telling her that I was shooting a video about her quote and to look for it in her email. We shall see. As I am very new to this game, please let me know what you think I could have done better in the short clip. I know the quality is not awesome and the sound is not great, but I am looking for more of a review of what I'm saying to the client. Being she is only 22, I dont have high hopes but I thought it would be a good test subject. That's also why I didnt wear a tie because of her age. Thoughts???

Back