How do you guys prospect for Small Group?

I am wondering which companies you guys represent for group health insurance and with which carrier do youwrite most of your group health business? It appears that most of the health agents on this forum write individual health plans exclusively, or if not, they seem to concentrate on the individual business. I know that when John Petrowski was posting on this forum he was a proponent of selling the individual plans----to the extent of replacing group plans with individual plans.

I use LISI for my small group that I submit. All of my small groups have been placed with BlueCross. I'll usually quote Aetna, BlueCross, HealthNet, and Pacificare. But price for benefit it's hard to match BlueCross here in California. I'll sometimes pull a client off of a group plan and write them individual ONLY if the client is completely healthy and getting raped by rates. Mind you all of my groups were "virgin" groups before I set them up.

Doing business to business marketing is a great way to get small group leads. I would probably be making a killing if I could just get myself to pick up that phone and make cold calls but I'm content with face to face marketing for now.

I use LISI for my small group that I submit. All of my small groups have been placed with BlueCross. I'll usually quote Aetna, BlueCross, HealthNet, and Pacificare. But price for benefit it's hard to match BlueCross here in California. I'll sometimes pull a client off of a group plan and write them individual ONLY if the client is completely healthy and getting raped by rates. Mind you all of my groups were "virgin" groups before I set them up.

Doing business to business marketing is a great way to get small group leads. I would probably be making a killing if I could just get myself to pick up that phone and make cold calls but I'm content with face to face marketing for now.

Blue Cross does have 75% of my group business in CA. It's hard to compete with the Employee Elect choices. For some reason my HMO groups are all Health Net, I guess I like their rates.

Also, if I get a fairly unhealthy group, PacifiCare has been very forgiving with their RAF, so I take that into account. Plus I like the fact they have brand name RX coverage on all their plans.

I go B to B when I have time. But, I don't just start walking into any business. I pick out a few that I am somewhat familiar with. If I don't have all the details on the business, I go to Manta.com and search. It can give you things like President name, size, sales volume, etc. But, the method that works the best is the business lunch. Ask them one question and shut up, "How did you get to own(be the president of) XYZ company?" It is fascinating to listen to the stories.

Back