How to Become Independent

If you'll be running your own biz, from home, on your home computer, why exactly will you be paying him a percentage? Sounds to me like he's looking to build his book on your back.

The ad sounds almost like this "agency" is going to give you full support, but from the looks of it, they want you to build their book on your dime.

As to how much they want from your commissions, this varies. Some contracts require as much as 50%, and if you are going to spend you own money on the overhead of running your "own business", that would not be very attractive.

Where they might contribute something of value to you is any training they can offer. If they don't offer at least that, I would run, not walk away from these people.

Ed

I need advice before i go spend my money. I am looking for a Job and I saw this in the paper. "WANTED: Health & Life agents. Will train and License. Weekly advances and leads. 75 to 150K first year."

So I called and the guy said I need to get Licensed. To do that i need to buy a 100 dollar home stude course and then spend 180 bucks on license fees. Then he says I would be running my own biz. He will give me contracts with Blue cross and blue sheild, Uni care and several other companies. As well as the name of a internet site that will supply me with several leads that cost 7.50 each. He also wants a percentage of everything I make. He then tells me that I will use my computer at home (Fine since i have a home office) to do all my work. I will set up appointments with people and go out and write policies. It sounds like a nice idea to me but is it totally legit? I am just a hard salesman looking for a new way to make money and while I think I could do this I don't know anything about it. Is there a better way to do this? Does everything sound legit? What is an acceptable percentage to give this man? Any input would be GREATLY welcomed.

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this industry, however i got my license in Dec 2007 in texas, how do i get appointments. I am also looking for a company with a good training program in life and health. Any suggestions.

I agree with someone else here that if you have no prior insurance experience it likely is a good idea to work for a captive first. Just avoid Farmers Insurance b/c I've heard you could end up owing them money if you don't hit certain production numbers. Maybe other companies are like that too.

There's tons of people who do not succeed in insurance so working for a captive makes sense for those just entering the field.

Hi folks,

Is it possible to be independent in the senior market? I work the Medicare market only. It feels like the carriers are letting the FMO's do what they want...hence captive.

By the way is there a list of FMO's nationwide. I would like to enter into some conversations with them direct as I don't feel the carriers would be willing to hire independently.

Larry Niday
Tampa

Back