I'm Planning on Becoming an Agent.

I have a very hard time believing that the fact I’ve taken online courses during my masters and know I learn better in person means I’m not fit to work in insurance.

That's your MBA mentality talking. Get your head out of your *** and listen to the voices of experience.

Or you WILL be among the 90% failure rate in this business because your eyes simply aren't open to the full picture of what success in this industry entails.

You simply don't understand that HOW you are talking about the SIMPLE licensing process... is an INDICATION of your current mentality.

You are weak.

You are spineless.

You want it HANDED to you in YOUR way.

This ain't Burger King.

----------

Here's the other part that you don't necessarily understand:

Licensing does NOT equal competence.

Licensing ONLY means that you can be held liable for your recommendations and actions.

Which means that if you're complaining about the studying for your LICENSE, how much will you whine about doing REAL training - assuming that you actually GET real training?

I predict another casualty of the insurance business - only because he doesn't have the "eyes to see" it and the "ears to hear" from those who have gone before him.

----------

I did not come on here looking to be agreed with I came on here for honest advice and for the most part my questions were ignored and I was insulted and attacked instead.

LOL. Wait until you start prospecting and talking to REAL people.

Have I told you that I love you lately DHK? ;)

That's your MBA mentality talking. Get your head out of your *** and listen to the voices of experience.

Or you WILL be among the 90% failure rate in this business because your eyes simply aren't open to the full picture of what success in this industry entails.

You simply don't understand that HOW you are talking about the SIMPLE licensing process... is an INDICATION of your current mentality.

You are weak.

You are spineless.

This ain't Burger King.

----------

Licensing ONLY means that you can be held liable for your recommendations and actions.

Which means that if you're complaining about the studying for your LICENSE, how much will you whine about doing REAL training - assuming that you actually GET real training?

I predict another casualty of the insurance business - only because he doesn't have the "eyes to see" it and the "ears to hear" from those who have gone before him.

----------

Reactions: DHK
I'm going to try and stay positive on this, because hopefully it helps.

Insurance is about solving problems. What happens if.... Well insurance will step in and make you whole and get you back to where you were. Well not really, but we'll give you a bunch of money and try to make up for it that way.

Right now, you aren't even solving your own problems. You have a master's, which generally requires research and a long dissertation. Presumably you have solved a problem in your field. Apply that mental brain power here. Instead of trying to think of reasons something won't succeed, think of reasons you can make it succeed.

Personally, I have been through quite a bit of that this year. And my typical response/thought is, "Oh, it won't work because of XYZ..." So the other day I was given a challenge and I thought, "There is no way." But I said, I'm not going to go back and say no, instead I'm going to go back and say, "Well, I can't do it the way you want, but I think if we do it this way we will get close and actually be even more profitable."

So stop thinking of all the reasons you can't do pre-licensing, instead think of ways you can. Assuming your current income is decent, paying for a few extra pre-licensing courses and test attempts should not be that big an obstacle in pursuing your desired career.

But after all that, if you can't think of a way, aren't willing to take the chance or to spend the money, then it truly is not for you. And there is no shame in that. We can't all be rocket scientists, insurance agents, car salesmen, etc. There are a lot of different jobs out there, find the one that suits you and run with it.

You are weak.

You are spineless.

This ain't Burger King.

----------

----------

You are a real drama queen. All I’ve said is that I learn better in person than I do online (which is something I realized long before considering a career in insurance) and somehow that makes me weak and spineless.

Part of me feels sorry for you that you feel the need to be so nasty to people online.

You are going to fail. You simply don't see it yet.

Good luck.

Oh, try using the search function. I'm actually one of the nicest people on this forum... but I also call out the truth when I see it.

You are a real drama queen. All I’ve said is that I learn better in person than I do online (which is something I realized long before considering a career in insurance) and somehow that makes me weak and spineless.

Part of me feels sorry for you that you feel the need to be so nasty to people online.

While it may not have been said in the best manner, he is spot on.

Please read what I wrote. You are too busy trying to find excuses right now. Plus, you don't seem to realize what pre-licensing is all about, which is ok because few do.

This is 6th grade all over again. Depending on the line of authority, it is some basic math and memorization. Also, all the good licensing courses have great practice tests that ask the questions in the same manner the actual test will.

I get that you learn better in person, most people do. But this is not difficult material, particularly not for someone with a master's degree. If you can memorize facts and figures, actually read a question and not skim it, you can pass this test.

Every last person on here has passed this test in their state and probably many others insurance related tests. I suspect many don't even have a college degree, much less a master's. Surely you can do at least as well as us?

You simply don't have what it takes to succeed in business. Apply Tony Robbins goals to yourself - as one of his goals at his Business Mastery events is to DISCOURAGE people to go into business.

Think about it:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to try and stay positive on this, because hopefully it helps.

Insurance is about solving problems. What happens if.... Well insurance will step in and make you whole and get you back to where you were. Well not really, but we'll give you a bunch of money and try to make up for it that way.

Right now, you aren't even solving your own problems. You have a master's, which generally requires research and a long dissertation. Presumably you have solved a problem in your field. Apply that mental brain power here. Instead of trying to think of reasons something won't succeed, think of reasons you can make it succeed.

Personally, I have been through quite a bit of that this year. And my typical response/thought is, "Oh, it won't work because of XYZ..." So the other day I was given a challenge and I thought, "There is no way." But I said, I'm not going to go back and say no, instead I'm going to go back and say, "Well, I can't do it the way you want, but I think if we do it this way we will get close and actually be even more profitable."

So stop thinking of all the reasons you can't do pre-licensing, instead think of ways you can. Assuming your current income is decent, paying for a few extra pre-licensing courses and test attempts should not be that big an obstacle in pursuing your desired career.

But after all that, if you can't think of a way, aren't willing to take the chance or to spend the money, then it truly is not for you. And there is no shame in that. We can't all be rocket scientists, insurance agents, car salesmen, etc. There are a lot of different jobs out there, find the one that suits you and run with it.

I appreciate your polite response. Though in fairness I already figured out how I am going to get my licenses my question was concerning if I wi

----------

You are going to fail. You simply don't see it yet.

Good luck.

Oh, try using the search function. I'm actually one of the nicest people on this forum... but I also call out the truth when I see it.

And how can you even say that? You know nothing about me other than I prefer in person classes to online classes.

It must be your default position to attack anyone who comes on here with interest in the field.

Or perhaps you are having a bad day.

for the most part my questions were ignored and I was insulted and attacked instead.

I addressed every question you asked in the original posts. I might have been a bit blunt, but I was honest and on point.

- Licensing should not be an "issue" in any sense of the word. Huge red flag to potential employers. They will ask about current employment situation and current licensing situation. They will question why you needed to quit your current job just to pass the insurance exam.... and will probably ask you to explain.

So far, you have not given a reason for quitting that comes across as a desirable quality that insurance agencies look for in agents.

- Potential employers will take you much more seriously if you already are licensed. Your chances of being hired increase dramatically if already licensed.

- Should you quit your job just to take the test?
That depends on if you can afford to go without income for the next 3-6 months. There is no guarantee you will pass the test (not that its hard). There is zero guarantee you will be hired by a P&C shop in a timely fashion. If you do get hired, there will be multiple interviews over 2-3 weeks, then background checks, then training, then finally you get to the sales.

------

So the major questions back to you are: Can you afford to quit? Can you come up with a reason for doing so that will present you in a positive light to future employers?

Last edited:
"So I would like to become and insurance agent and eventually own an independent P&C agency. I currently work in sales in a separate industry.

I know I need my license and my question is would it be a logical for me to quit my current job get my license and then start my insurance job search or should I wait until I have an insurance job offer to quit my job and start the licensing process?"

That would depend on your unique circumstances. It depends on a lot of factors. Is your current job something you can get re-hired easily if this doesn't work? Health insurance and benefits with your current employer? Have you spoken to agencies in the area already?

I can tell you that the "education and licensing" may get you a job quicker but,I don't know if it's worth quitting your current job over.( a lot of licensed agents out there).

Selling is the # 1 skill that will you'll need if you plan on becoming an agent. You need to be able to sell, bottom line. Do you sell in your current job?
Do you have sales training? Honestly ( depending on your field of study)a job where you could use your masters degree would probably put you in a better position starting off.This will most likely be a slow start and there will be some bumps and bruises along the way. You shouldn't be this sensitive to other agents. Thick skin goes a long way in this business.

My advice would be to do the online courses, (you need to get over the issues with that) and keep your current job. Save some money that you could put towards your insurance career ( marketing, sales training, etc.) and talk to some agents in the area to get a feel for the market. Maybe they'll hire you on part-time on weekends or something?

Back