I'm Planning on Becoming an Agent.

If you want something, you have to take it how you can get it. Not how you prefer to get it.

The insurance test is not learning rocket science. And you will learn just enough to know that you still know nothing about insurance after the classes/exam. The real learning comes after the insurance exam.

If you can afford to not have income for a few months... in order to take a test that you might not even pass... in order to get hired at a firm that might not even hire you... then go for it. If not, take the online class.

What scagnt83 said...

If your current job doesn't afford you the PTO to take the course, then take 3 days of unpaid leave vs. forfeiting income for an indefinite amount of time. Sometimes gaps in employment are understandable, this one isn't one of those times.

Please note that the prelicensing classes... are JUST to prepare for the exam. They are NOT "training".

In fact, one of the best ways to study for the exam is to take PRACTICE exams. Then you use the wrong answers to study up on what you got wrong and why... and keep taking practice exams. Once you're scoring 85%+ on your practice exams, you're ready to take the real one.

THAT'S how you study for an exam. Just get the prelicensing over and done with so you can move on.

But what do I know? I've only got my insurance license, passed the series 7 & 66, 8 ChFC financial planning courses, and too many CE exams to count. I just know that I learn best using audio/visual methods - whether live or pre-recorded, I do what it takes.

Whatever it takes - that is, if you're driven to do it.

If it's OUR job to do the thinking FOR you... don't bother with this industry. This industry will chew you up and spit you out. It is NOT for the faint of heart or the weak minded.

This x100

I have 5 kids, worked full time and did the online class. I learned more in my first day of real quoting and looking at carriers sites and talking to underwriters than I did in that entire class. I am still building my agency after a year and a half, I am in the office every day at 7am, work until 5pm and then after the kids are in bed I work a few hours more.
If scheduling a class is difficult because you want the "real" experience of hearing an instructor talk hypothetically in a classroom, these guys are right, it may not be the job for you.

I have 5 kids, worked full time and did the online class. I learned more in my first day of real quoting and looking at carriers sites and talking to underwriters than I did in that entire class. I am still building my agency after a year and a half, I am in the office every day at 7am, work until 5pm and then after the kids are in bed I work a few hours more.
If scheduling a class is difficult because you want the "real" experience of hearing an instructor talk hypothetically in a classroom, these guys are right, it may not be the job for you.

I have a very hard time believing that the fact I’ve taken online courses during my masters and know I learn better in person means I’m not fit to work in insurance.

Honestly, you do not sound like a candidate for this business. You do not seem to be money motivated enough.

It is not a test on rocket science, you aren't doing a transplant on the table. It is seriously a bunch of questions about who is at fault in an accident and the difference between term and whole life. Its a lot of common sense and stuff you already know. It is so low level compared to what carriers require and what you actually will use. I probably couldn't even tell you the state minimums on auto insurance for each of the 5 states I write in, I don't sell minimum. So I don't see what good learning that was. I also had to learn Medicare and Medicaid and healthcare which I promptly forgot and have yet to use. It's really about passion and drive.

Honestly, you do not sound like a candidate for this business. You do not seem to be money motivated enough.

What are you basing my money motivation on?

I’m starting to think everyone on this board talks **** to everyone who comes on here asking questions about becoming an agent.

What are you basing my money motivation on?

I’m starting to think everyone on this board talks **** to everyone who comes on here asking questions about becoming an agent.

Like the majority who come on here you want to have us agree with what you have in mind. We become jerks when we don't agree with you.

If I was interviewing you for a job here is what I would be thinking. Obviously, you do not mind on living off mom and dad. The way you indicate you can quit your job with no income doesn't indicate either a strong financial drive or need for finances. When you find out that people do not come to you in the insurance business but you have to find them and it is not easy will you really want to do this then. Any insurance sales is about one thing above all else and that is prospecting. If you can quit a job now to study for your license and to interview it would be very easy later to quit because you are discouraged or don't like insurace so you can look for something else.

If I was interviewing you for a job here is what I would be thinking. Obviously, you do not mind on living off mom and dad. The way you indicate you can quit your job with no income doesn't indicate either a strong financial drive or need for finances. When you find out that people do not come to you in the insurance business but you have to find them and it is not easy will you really want to do this then. Any insurance sales is about one thing above all else and that is prospecting. If you can quit a job now to study for your license and to interview it would be very easy later to quit because you are discouraged or don't like insurace so you can look for something else.

I did not come on here looking to be agreed with I came on here for honest advice and for the most part my questions were ignored and I was insulted and attacked instead.

What you told me in the quoted paragraph was actually some honest advice that I was looking for and I appreciate that.

Back