Increased rates: not at fault accident, repairs paid out of pocket?

Also, body shops sell their repair data to Carfax, and to others I'm sure. It is just as likely Progressive got the data this way and not through CLUE. That said, it is definitely worth looking to see if its reported on your MVR or CLUE.

I've been around a lot of body shops in multiple states (including my own) and I can say that I have never seen this done by a single independent shop or owner, nor do I know anyone who was ever approached by Carfax(or anyone else) to buy their information. Maybe, large MSOs like Caliber/Abra, Service King, and Gerber sell theirs, but I highly doubt even that. If this were a way to make money, you can bet that it would be common knowledge, because profitability is so bad in that industry with the insurance intrusion.

If you are looking for a party that is most likely to do this, it is more likely that it is the estimating and data management companies that all shops are required to use for the insurance company data sharing (CCC, Mitchell, Audatex). There is a major debate right now about who "owns the information".

I've been around a lot of body shops in multiple states (including my own) and I can say that I have never seen this done by a single independent shop or owner, nor do I know anyone who was ever approached by Carfax to buy their information. Maybe, large MSOs like Caliber/Abra and Gerber sell theirs, but I doubt even that.

If you are looking for a party that is most likely to do this, it is more likely that it is the estimating and data management companies that all shops are required to use for the insurance company data sharing (CCC, Mitchell, Audatex). There is a major debate right now about who "owns the information".

That is fair, but to the car owner it is semantics. It doesn't matter if the shop itself or the estimating software sells it. In either case, Carfax gets it and uses it.

That is fair, but to the car owner it is semantics. It doesn't matter if the shop itself or the estimating software sells it. In either case, Carfax gets it and uses it.

It's only semantics, because the vehicle owners are so uneducated about claims, insurance companies, and the roles of those involved. They just choose to blindly trust billion dollar entities trying to make money in their time of need. Transparency is sadly missing in that industry. You just posted that you know shops sell the information to Carfax, which is simply not true.

There is only one entity that benefits from that information being bought and that is the insurance company. It just comes out through their relationship with the data management company, which they require shops to use. Just like the OP here, it gives them a free pass to deny a claim or raise his rates. In his case, they just did it and expected him to pay the bill.

Is there any way to find out if a body shop reported to carfax or some other database? I got two estimates, told both I was going to pay out of pocket - and did.

Also it’s my understanding that under the mini tort law, the driver that is at fault is susceptible to judgement. Since I’m 100% not at fault (rear ended while legally stopped at an intersection) I don’t see how I could have been sued under that law? Or am I not understanding how this works?

Is there any way to find out if a body shop reported to carfax or some other database? I got two estimates, told both I was going to pay out of pocket - and did.

Body shops don't report anything to Carfax or any other entity not tied to the claim. They complete estimates through an insurance company approved, internet based estimating databas that is centrally stored by the vendor. There are three that are generally accepted by insurance companies and shops run every estimate through their chosen system. Whether that vendor (CCC, Mitchell, or Autatex) sells that data to Carfax (or others) or other insurance companies is unclear..

Is there perhaps a "Comprehensive" claim that you're not remembering? A towing claim? Flat tire? Tree fell on your car? Glass/windshield incident? Maybe the "damage to your vehicle" is not related to this claim, but a different claim.

Have you ordered your CLUE report? Should have done that when I first suggested it. If the claim appears on it, you'll know who reported it.

Have you ordered your CLUE report? Should have done that when I first suggested it. If the claim appears on it, you'll know who reported it.

I ordered the C.L.U.E. report. Unfortunately Lexis Nexis doesn’t do electronic reports, so I have to wait 7-10 business days to get a snail mail copy.

I checked my driving record with the state, it’s completely clean.

I spoke with progressive, and there was a “glass claim” they said I filed a few weeks ago. I never filed such a claim. I called in to ask what my glass coverage was because my policy was up for renewal and was considering changing my deductibles upon renewal. They inferred that somehow to mean I wanted to file a claim when in fact I never asked them to. They are removing it, but according to the rep that doesn’t account for the large difference in rates. I guess I’ll see what shows on the CLUE report and go from there.

I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
I ordered the C.L.U.E. report. Unfortunately Lexis Nexis doesn’t do electronic reports, so I have to wait 7-10 business days to get a snail mail copy.

Yeah, they stopped doing online reports a while back. When I requested the "full disclosure" they sent me over 200 pages (of paper). I emailed to see if I could get a digital copy. No, because of too much identity theft. Doesn't make sense because I can see the same information on line when I order my credit reports and then download them to my computer so I don't have to scan hard copy. I ended up shredding the "full disclosure" because there was nothing on it of any detriment.

By the way, I got my reports in the mail in about 4 days so you might not have much longer to wait.

If there is a claim on it, it will show the company that reported it.

Back