Increased rates: not at fault accident, repairs paid out of pocket?

Jun 15, 2019

1. asus389

asus389 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    There’s nothing in the CLUE report pertaining to this vehicle. Not sure...

asus389, Jul 1, 2019
  2. fed up

fed up Guru

State:
    Virginia
    When you say, " pertaining to this car", did you mean that your CLUE report is clean or that there is an accident listed on another vehicle within the last few years?

fed up, Jul 1, 2019
  3. asus389

asus389 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    There is an accident from 2013, and a small claim from 2015. I’m not even sure what the 2015 claim is for, it’s so small. Progressive says it’s comprehensive so maybe a glass chip (which they have $0 deductible repairs - presumably to save them from window replacement claims)? Either way I’m not sure how it could raise my rates now? Both on previous vehicles.

asus389, Jul 1, 2019
  4. goillini52

goillini52 KeepAmericaGreat...Eat Bacon & BUILD THAT WALL!!!

State:
    Illinois
    Ouch, that had to hurt. :err:

5. goillini52

goillini52 KeepAmericaGreat...Eat Bacon & BUILD THAT WALL!!!

State:
    Illinois
    I didn't know that Flo has that. :wideeyed:

6. fed up

fed up Guru

State:
    Virginia
    Rate changes go to the policy based on history, company cost increases, driving record, address of the policy. I don't know how long the policy has been in place but if there was a general rate increase it may have affected the policy after renewal, in which case it will show up on the next renewal. Either way, your rates have increased and you are not happy with Progressive. make some phone calls

fed up, Jul 1, 2019
  7. Allen Trent

Allen Trent Guru

CLUE would only be showing situation where claims were filed. in this instance, the poster said no claims were filed, merely body shop quotes obtained. That is likely why it doesn't show on CLUE. likely reported into systems like Carfax where they obtain even more data points such as accident reports & maybe even body shop quotes from the estimating software.

I believe Progressive includes all comp, at fault & not at fault collisions in their pricing, so it is possible they are aware there is/was damage to the vehicle from these other sources, not from CLUE

8. asus389

asus389 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Yeah I have been talking to progressive. Is Carfax or car incident data not subject to the FCRA? Getting info out of either of them about this has been really difficult. Much more difficult than say, getting access to my health records or other financial records. Whatever you think of their process for collecting data or setting rates, shouldn’t I have a right to know the source of the data?

asus389, Jul 1, 2019
  9. DI Guy

DI Guy Expert

State:
    California
    "Right"? Probably not if they can claim it is proprietory information that "just happns" to be about you and your car.

DI Guy, Jul 1, 2019
  10. Allen Trent

Allen Trent Guru

I believe they merely have to show the state regulators how they set rates, but are not required to disclose every detail on an individual basis as it would give up their trade secrets, etc to competitors. the good news is insurance is a million miles from a monopoly like other industries, so you can be free to select & shop from the dozens, if not hundreds, of other competitors if you are disappointed with them