Increased rates: not at fault accident, repairs paid out of pocket?

I believe they merely have to show the state regulators how they set rates, but are not required to disclose every detail on an individual basis as it would give up their trade secrets, etc to competitors. the good news is insurance is a million miles from a monopoly like other industries, so you can be free to select & shop from the dozens, if not hundreds, of other competitors if you are disappointed with them

Why do so many people treat their auto insurance like a bad relationship? "I hate them and they treat me like crap. But I love them, I can't leave!"

Why do so many people treat their auto insurance like a bad relationship? "I hate them and they treat me like crap. But I love them, I can't leave!"

Agree, go get another company. Personally, Progressive would never get my business ever.

Also, the OP states they were rear ended - not their fault. Why did you not get the at fault person to pay? (insurance claim or cash)
No way I would have paid for damage incurred by someone else to my vehicle.
I expect rates to go up slightly with each renewal just due to inflation and the nature of the business it is, however huge jumps that aren't warranted are a red flag.

Agree, go get another company. Personally, Progressive would never get my business ever.

Also, the OP states they were rear ended - not their fault. Why did you not get the at fault person to pay? (insurance claim or cash)
No way I would have paid for damage incurred by someone else to my vehicle.
I expect rates to go up slightly with each renewal just due to inflation and the nature of the business it is, however huge jumps that aren't warranted are a red flag.

Michigan is a no fault state, so there is no “getting the other persons insurance to pay”. The damage cost was below my deductible. So it didn’t seem to make sense to file a claim.

Michigan is a no fault state, so there is no “getting the other persons insurance to pay”. The damage cost was below my deductible. So it didn’t seem to make sense to file a claim.

not entirely true about Michigan. you can recover $1,000 (soon to be $3,000) from the at fault party under Michigan No Fault laws. It is commonly referred to as mini-tort or limited property damage. you collect from the other party in small claims court or from their auto insurance policy under their limited property damage coverage. Those that have no collision coverage can collect & those with collision coverage can collect their deductible amount if they carry regular or limited collision coverage

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_ip206_25091_7.pdf

Well I learned something new today. I've never heard of that. To me honestly it makes no sense to have a law like that, but I don't live there so I have no dog in that fight. Sucks you have to pay for someone else's mistake.

Back