Indy from Home?

RBA, you are fine, you don't need a legitimate business address, not for the market you serve.

You dont know jack squat about me, so STFU,

WHy dont you anwer the question I posted you above?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an IA and work from home, as do ALOT of IA's.

Progressive and Mercury are 2 carriers who require you to have brick and mortor buildings...

Guess what, I work from home and have both companies....

Why? Cause I am part of SIAA and sometimes requirements are bypassed for us.

Also, Mercury has waived that requirement, so you never know.

Your BIGGEST problem is, that you are new and no IA carriers will appoint you. period

With all due respect this is not true. There are carriers that will appoint you without experience. Foremost, Progressive are just two examples.

With all due respect this is not true. There are carriers that will appoint you without experience. Foremost, Progressive are just two examples.

With all due respect, those are non-standard companies, most any non-standard company will appoint just about anyone, but without experience, you will NOT get any preferred companies.

I would NOT try to build a book of business with only non-standard companies, you wont survive long with the cancels and charge backs and TONS of service work.

With all due respect, those are non-standard companies, most any non-standard company will appoint just about anyone, but without experience, you will NOT get any preferred companies.

I would NOT try to build a book of business with only non-standard companies, you wont survive long with the cancels and charge backs and TONS of service work.

Who cares if they are standard or non standard, he wants to start selling from home and build a business. Your comment was that he would't get appointed with ANY companies with no experience and that's not true. ANY independent agent out there should have Foremost and Progressive on their roster and you can get appointed with both with NO experience. Charge backs, and service work is part of the business.

Who cares if they are standard or non standard, he wants to start selling from home and build a business. Your comment was that he would't get appointed with ANY companies with no experience and that's not true. ANY independent agent out there should have Foremost and Progressive on their roster and you can get appointed with both with NO experience. Charge backs, and service work is part of the business.

WOW, a newbie to to argue huh?

Well then, it's time to be mean, and adjust my comments........NO PERSON should start in insurance without a solid mentor or ANY TRAINING! Just because you passed a weekend class and got licensed, doesnt mean you should hit the streets and start selling a product than can affect peoples LIVES if you dont give them the correct coverages or enough coverages. People that dont know about insurance DEPEND on the agent setting them up the way they need to be. A new green agent off the street wont know how to do that.

So why do you think the PREFERRED carriers won't put new people on?

I dont know what kind of business you write, but my agency, with the PREFERRED Companies and CLients I have, I have VERY LITTLE service work or billing issues.

And I will add, how do you think you can build a book of business with all non-standard carriers, when the money you made this month is all charged back next month and you spend ALL your time chasing down a payment etc? There is no time to market and get more business.

Wake up and smell the coffee man.

The poster original question is getting appointed and working from home. So the answer is NO they will not appoint you unless you have an office.

RBA is an exception because the group he belong to.

WOW, a newbie to to argue huh?

Well then, it's time to be mean, and adjust my comments........NO PERSON should start in insurance without a solid mentor or ANY TRAINING! Just because you passed a weekend class and got licensed, doesnt mean you should hit the streets and start selling a product than can affect peoples LIVES if you dont give them the correct coverages or enough coverages. People that dont know about insurance DEPEND on the agent setting them up the way they need to be. A new green agent off the street wont know how to do that.

So why do you think the PREFERRED carriers won't put new people on?

I dont know what kind of business you write, but my agency, with the PREFERRED Companies and CLients I have, I have VERY LITTLE service work or billing issues.

And I will add, how do you think you can build a book of business with all non-standard carriers, when the money you made this month is all charged back next month and you spend ALL your time chasing down a payment etc? There is no time to market and get more business.

Wake up and smell the coffee man.

Well, I don't drink coffee for starters so there is none to smell when I wake up. The only thing I can smell is common "scents" and common sense tells me first off someone with your apparent expertise, experience, clientele, and all your many preferred companies should be doing well enough to have an office by now. Not sure why anyone would want to work from home longer than necessary but I guess there is one in every crowd. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be mean but you said it was that time...

I won't go into the rest of your response as it is irrelevant to the point.

To the original poster, if you are starting off, get appointed with any company that will appoint you, and there are some. Write what you can write and don't worry about all the bull s**t everyone wants to project. Clients are clients and you will get some loss with a preferred just as you will with non preferred. You are going to get charge backs and you are going to chase down payments NO MATTER WHAT COMPANIES YOU WRITE FOR. Just get out there and do it. In the "weekend" class you took to get your license you learned about coverages. OK great now you can advise your customers to not be under insured...man was that complicated!

If you can sell, you can sell anything. Including insurance.

:cool:

Well, I don't drink coffee for starters so there is none to smell when I wake up. The only thing I can smell is common "scents" and common sense tells me first off someone with your apparent expertise, experience, clientele, and all your many preferred companies should be doing well enough to have an office by now. Not sure why anyone would want to work from home longer than necessary but I guess there is one in every crowd. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be mean but you said it was that time...

:cool:

Hey mancuso, Since you MUST Know, I work from Home because I also take care of my mother who has alzheimers, so I hope that is a good enough reason for you so that I can justify my working from home. if it doesnt, I have other reasons also, so if you must know my life story, I will tell you, Or why dont you Private message me your number and I will call and tell you.

You still want to argue with me newbie?

Hey mancuso, Since you MUST Know, I work from Home because I also take care of my mother who has alzheimers, so I hope that is a good enough reason for you so that I can justify my working from home. if it doesnt, I have other reasons also, so if you must know my life story, I will tell you, Or why dont you Private message me your number and I will call and tell you.

You still want to argue with me newbie?

Hey RBA, Let me just say based on your responses I can't believe anything you say. If your mom does indeed have alzheimers then good for you for taking care of her and I'm sorry for her condition. But for some reason my gut tells me you are full of ****. Either way this has been an eye opener for me because I realized that quite a few people on this forum are jack asses like yourself who don't have any interest in being productive but just want to argue and strut their self perceived knowledge in this business. I have far to many more important things to be doing with my time than **** around with people like you. That said I won't be posting in the future.

One more thing, It's MR. Newbie to you! :mad:

I must say having over two years of experience in the auto and life field, you can not succeed without experience of some kind. I would suggest for you to work somewhere part time before trying to get appointed.

Back