Insurance Agent Directories - Are They Worth It?

I don't go straight to a directory, but I do go to Google when I am shopping for something. Some of these directories show up on page 1 under the organic listings. My site is not there yet so for the price it seems like it might be worth it. At $80/year I only need to sell 1 policy and this pays for itself. I would imagine I'm going to get a few phone calls from this if it is showing up on page 1.

I guess I was also wondering about SEO, this could be another link to my site from a very relevant site. Am I totally wrong in assuming this would help my sites ranking.

That will hardly get you close to Page 1 of Google, Dont fool yourself.:no:and dont waste your money

If I'm not mistaken google basically goes by % of content that is relevant to the keyword as well as popularity of the site. Understandably that is a catch, the more unique visits you have the more popular your site, then again how do you get your popularity up ? unique visits. Google also has sponsered links that basically means the owner of that site is paying google or any other search engine big bucks (you have to outbid the competition) to get in the top ten. Also the links from other sites that are relative to your product and their ranking have to do with your ranking as well. Your Meta-descriptions have a huge affect on ranking and content relativity to the search as well. Again, this is just from what i understand about search engines. Its not easy to get on the first page of a search. There are people who pay 5-10 dollars per time their site is visited based certain keywords. Google is obviously going to display those first, since they will get paid if you click on that link.

That will hardly get you close to Page 1 of Google, Dont fool yourself.:no:and dont waste your money

I don't think that these directories will get my site to #1 on Google, but if the directory showing up in the #1 spot that's just as good. If someone searches for Salt Lake City home insurance and one of those directories is #1 on Google than I'm essentially buying the #1 spot.

My site is still going to be back on page 7 or 8 but people can get to my site through the directory which is #1.

Is my thinking totally wrong there? I have looked into buying some adwords but that is a lot more expensive so I thought this might be a good way to ease myself into online marketing.

I've been looking at directories also. I'm not sure price is as important as what you're getting for the money.

Other than google ranking, what else would make up a solid directory that I should be looking for?

Re: Let me clarify that

I have noticed that you only have around 130 backlinks to your site? Maybe it works in a small state, but 130 links would not even be on the radar in most states with competive search terms.

For example: Keyword Search: Florida health Insurance
#1 Google Organic
Florida Health Insurance, Florida Group Health Insurance, FREE LIVE Florida Health Insurance Quotes
Backlinks:
#1 Spot======1,129
#2 Spot=======341
#3 Spot=======329

I wonder if Backlinks have anything to do with ranking high in Google? Google has disregarded paid link strategies. You cant buy your way into the Search Engines

Good Keyword Title--(not keywords, does not have a bearing with google) or most SE
Meta Description (very important)
Content---King
Backlinks--King

How do these websites get so many backlinks? Affiliates?

Affiliates is one source.

Backlinking is a process that requires consistent work.

Most sites will not link to you unless you have already linked to them in advance.

If you don't have a link page on your site, I would suggest creating one. Very important if you want backlinks.

The most important factor is the relevance of the site you are linking to. It should be related to the content of your site.

It doesn't have to match the content of your site exactly, but should be related in nature to your site.

Most here are in the health & life industry, so any site involving insurance, medicine, medical, health, wellness, hospitals, healthcare products, etc.. would be a good link partner.

I have spent the last three months or so building my link directory, it has more than 7000 links now, with another 3000 or so in the pipeline.

There's a lot of cool links in there, just a huge amount of information.

Feel free to take a look, and if you wish, add your site.

If you do so, and you have a links page on your site, please add my site to your link page. The code to do this is even located on the page for your convenience. All you have to do is copy, and paste the code into your link page.

That's how it works. A series of relevant websites each linking to each other.

I'm going to make a post for link partners in a few days, once I make sure I have all the bugs worked out of my directory, I just finished it this past weekend.

This forum has what 3000 to 4000 members.

Imagine how much farther ahead of our competitors our sites would rank, if we all were to link to each other.

Link Partners of Interest - index

Re: Let me clarify that

I have noticed that you only have around 130 backlinks to your site?

Google's count of backlinks has been useless for a long time. Not only do they show fewer backlinks than you have, they show the links from the less important sites. I think they believe that people will buy fewer links if they can't find accurate information from Google.

I think that page rank is moving in the same direction.

If you want a more accurate count of backlinks try Yahoo! or Live.com.

If you take advantage of Google Webmaster Tools, you will see how many links Google has listed for your site, but you won't be able to see how many links other sites have.

For competitive backlink analysis use of one the other two big search engines.

I don't think that these directories will get my site to #1 on Google, but if the directory showing up in the #1 spot that's just as good. If someone searches for Salt Lake City home insurance and one of those directories is #1 on Google than I'm essentially buying the #1 spot.

My site is still going to be back on page 7 or 8 but people can get to my site through the directory which is #1.

Is my thinking totally wrong there? I have looked into buying some adwords but that is a lot more expensive so I thought this might be a good way to ease myself into online marketing.

You should contact the company that built your website. They might be able to help you get on some free directories. There are a lot out there that are very credible and that show up on Google and Yahoo. As far as the ones you've mentioned, I wouldn't recommend paying for any of them. I would pay for a search engine to list me, but that's about it.

As far as the guy who posted from Florida, it looks like most of his links are coming from blogs or articles he's submitted - he knows what he's doing because this is the best way to get links that are valuable to search engines.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I've been looking at directories also. I'm not sure price is as important as what you're getting for the money.

Other than google ranking, what else would make up a solid directory that I should be looking for?

Search volume would be a start. The number one directories are SuperPages, CitySearch, and Yellowpages. A lot of other directories will claim they get a high amount of search volume in your area, but be careful b/c a lot of these searches are from telemarketers or other agents looking at their listings.

Last edited:
Back