Internet Stuff

Apr 27, 2008

1. susieQ

susieQ Super Genius

I thought I posted this earlier but it disappeared so I'm starting over and if it shows up twice I apologize. I am a person that wants to turn on a computer and have it work. I don't want to mess around with any of the technological stuff. Although it seems like more and more I need to have a better understanding of this crap.

My question about internet stuff is: When I want to get information and I don't want to be recognized or I don't want a bunch of junk mail going into my regular account I use a yahoo email account that has a name that nobody would connect with me. Today I requested some info from an agency website using that yahoo account, I received a response back into my gmail account. What's up with that? Can these computer geeks now capture info such as that from your computer now? And how much stuff can they capture?

The IP address mess up that Gary did was interesting as well. So it made me think about IP address. Are they specific to one person's computer, a specific location, etc?? Guess I need to watch more TV:wacko:

susieQ, Apr 27, 2008
  2. dalex

dalex New Member

Doesn't make sense at all. Are you absolutely positive that you didn't mistakenly use your gmail account. There is virtually no way to connect your yahoo account to your gmail account unless you have had prior contact with that site with your gmail account.

dalex, Apr 27, 2008
  3. The New Guy

The New Guy Guru

Or an affiliate of that site previously.

4. susieQ

susieQ Super Genius

That's what I thought but I went back in and made sure it was sent from the yahoo account and it was. So I guess I don't know what's up with that then.

Thanks for the input.

susieQ, Apr 28, 2008
  5. Delta76

Delta76 Guru

Are you routing the messages from your yahoo account to the gmail account?

Delta76, Apr 28, 2008
  6. susieQ

susieQ Super Genius

Nope, not doing that either.

susieQ, Apr 28, 2008
  7. GreenSky

GreenSky Guru

State:
    Nevada
    Perhaps it was done in a similar fashion as the (formerly) illegal wiretaps authorized under the Patriot Act - otherwise known as "We have lost what was left of our Constitutional Rights Act."

Rick

GreenSky, Apr 28, 2008
  8. salesprospects

salesprospects New Member

send an email to yourself from your yahoo account to your gmail account. When you get the email in gmail, does it say it comes from you? (your actual name?)

The only thing I am thinking is maybe they saw your name and searched your name and found your gmail account. Not sure though......hope that helps.

9. The New Guy

The New Guy Guru

That's how we tapped into Rick's web cam on his laptop. Not a pretty sight.