IRS Can't Verify Family Glitch

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona

IRS can’t verify qualifications of every Obamacare subsidy recipient, watchdog says

The IRS can’t weed out bogus Obamacare exchange customers and didn’t have critical information on others more than halfway through the tax filing season this year, making it impossible to figure out whether Americans were claiming too much money from the government, the tax agency’s auditor said Tuesday.

Some state exchanges struggled to submit data fast enough for the IRS to verify whether customers were getting the right subsidy to buy their plans, the Treasury’s Inspector General for Tax Administration said.

In at least some cases, exchanges didn’t submit data on their customers until late March, leaving the IRS in a jam as it relied on other methods to figure out whether customers who got subsidies were actually eligible for them.

-----------------

The IRS also is unable to make sure those who bought plans through the exchanges really didn’t have any other options. Obamacare’s exchange plans and subsidies are supposed to be available only to those who don’t have another option, such as a job-based plan or a government-run program like Medicaid.

But the Treasury Department gave companies and insurers until next year to report on who’s on their rolls, meaning the IRS has no way of figuring out if those who claim tax credits are actually eligible.

The IRS hasn’t even decided whether to demand repayment from those who got subsidies during a 90-day grace period when the government is trying to resolve inconsistencies with their applications.

“As a result, these individuals continue to receive [the tax credits] until such time as the exchange finds the individuals to be ineligible,” TIGTA said.

Read more: IRS can't verify qualifications of every Obamacare subsidy recipient, watchdog says - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

----------

And then there is this:

What agents have to know about IRS PPACA problems | LifeHealthPro

And this:
Affordable Care Act: Assessment of Internal Revenue Service Preparation for Processing Premium Tax Credit Claims

It seems like there is so much cross-checking/verification data missing, that the Federal Marketplace people simply take the easy way out. They lose/misplace/trash documents sent in from insured's, and cancel the policies.

yep, and I am a victim, I have been sending my docs to them over the last 3 months and they cannot find them so i'm cancelled. I'm over it.

Oh i've uploaded them, faxed them to the designated number I was given to the appeals office, mailed them with return receipt signatures, its to much of a fustercluck for me so i bow out.

Came home yesterday to my "penalty" letter from the irs, I owe $205.00 for not having coverage last year !!

Here's the thing though, a LARGE part of your tax return isn't checked prior to a refund check being sent.

A large part of your tax return is taken on faith when you submit it and then possibly audited later, with a big stick if you do it wrong.

Why should this be different?

Back