Is the old school way of insurance sales- gone forever?

How many telephone sales agents have you met over the last 15 years on carrier trips ?

Agent of the year ?
For FE? Maybe a couple?

For other insurance like term or sups? Many!

But the companies I earn trips with are not usually telesales types.

I would guess that most of AmAm’s trip earners are telemarketers.

Last edited:
If you notice some carriers are limiting trips to the “ top 8 or 10 “
Only gonna get more exclusive as travel inflation has outpaced general inflation. Plus, add to it higher general expense ratio for carriers & incentive trips may get more & more limited

Well I’m being told that digital is the way of the future. Everything is being created to go paperless. No more color FE brochures. No more paper apps. Apparently companies have bought in and old dogs out here running the streets with cards in hand knocking doors will eventually fade away.
I’m not believing that for even a minute. I frequently spend a little time asking clients how they feel about talking to robots on the phone,getting solicited,being on forever hold on the phone without getting an answer. Nobody has told me they prefer to do business,buy anything on the phone.

Ten out of ten clients tell me how they are much more comfortable having someone look them in the eye and explain our business,how it works,how we benefit them as independent agents.

Human beings naturally crave one on one in person attention.

Last edited:
How many telephone sales agents have you met over the last 15 years on carrier trips ?

Agent of the year ?

At the Trinity trips in 2023, there was one dude who earned the trip via telesales. He wasn't at the 2024 trip, and as far as I know, there were 0 telesales agents on their 2024 trip.

That being said, not too many agents write Trinity over the phone. So that could be a big part of it. I'd bet that SBLI had several telesales agents on their trip.

Yeah. I think choosing to work exclusively online/over the phone is a lot different than being a "telesales agent".

One of them you're sitting by the pool taking an application then you go for a swim. The other one you're sitting at your desk waiting for someone to call you on a transfer so that you can try and write a policy.

Very different experiences.

I agree.

If not "telesales agent" what would be a good handle?

Times are a changing.

I Just left the Post office. I have a larger PO box for volume and policies and flats.

After two weeks of being vacationing. I had two ads, And two thin letters from a company. That's it. Not complaining, just noticing.

Back