Is the old school way of insurance sales- gone forever?

Almost every time I've had a gun pulled, it was rural. But that's just how they answered the door to any stranger.

The only time I felt like someone was actually going to show me was in a nice suburban neighborhood. The guy was early 60s and had a newer Corvette in his garage; no idea why he sent in an FE lead.

We had an appointment, he tried to cancel, and I showed up anyway. When I pulled up, he ran inside his house and ran back out aiming a pistol at me. I was parked in the street in front of his house, and he kept daring me to set foot on his property. I told him to f*ck off and got out of there.

Nut jobs are not exclusively younger thugs

I’ve never had a gun pulled . I’m very cautious in projects . I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been writing someone in the projects and the person told me someone was murdered a few days ago outside the building . I’ve run into a slew that thought I was police or someone watched me and called the house I was knocking like it was warning as drug dealers

I’m in the hood right now. I have been assaulted and robbed. But just once in 30 years. If I had paid better attention, it wouldn’t have happened then, either. Of course there’s an element of danger in what I do. However, I’m pretty sure I face more danger every day on my freeway commute from the burbs and back.

Nevertheless, I sometimes like to scare the young FE agents out of my neighborhoods with horror stories! :twitchy:

I do not recall having one pulled. I had an appointment in a foothill community that is known for separatist and prepper types. He made it clear he had one in his recliner, I could see her's printing and the teenager had a long gun next to him in the other room. He was retired CHP. All I had was a little 380 in a belly band that I would never have gotten to.

I pulled one in Oakland during the Rodney King riots. A long time ago.

I pulled one in Oakland during the Rodney King riots. A long time ago.
One of our drivers was pulling out of a load out after an MC Hammer show. Rioters were pulling a white guy out of his truck. It was Reginald Denny. Just two trucks ahead of ours.

Me. I carry one of those big ass maglites. Somebody's gonna get a headache.

One of our drivers was pulling out of a load out after an MC Hammer show. Rioters were pulling a white guy out of his truck. It was Reginald Denny. Just two trucks ahead of ours.

Me. I carry one of those big ass maglites. Somebody's gonna get a headache.

Yeah, that was disgusting. Animals.

There were only 3 or 4. I was stuck at the end of a road blocked by construction. So I was trying three point turning. They were banging on my car, trying the door, saying they just wanted a ride in my Cadillac. I loved that car. Flashing that 9 didn't phase them. Finally got turned around enough to hit the gas. Caught one of them.

I hit East 14th street, speeding, not a cop in sight, all the way to the 580, and did not stop until home. Three hours away. Oakland was really bad in the 90s. But had great clients. I was in my late 30s so I kinda liked the gang areas. Only got scared a couple of times. Now, as a frail old man, homie ain't playing dat.

Last edited:
One time in the early 1990's, there was a dude in austin named junior , and I think junior was on drugs. he pulled a kitchen knife out and it looked fairly dull, like a butter knife!! it was on the porch, I was there to collect the premium. ha ha He finally went in the house and settled down. Now if I meet somebody from that neighborhood I ask if they knew junior and one time a guy told me, "yeah I lived right next door". ha ha

Today I’m at a referral in the projects . Sitting on the porch . He calls his ex wife on phone to come over. She’s luke warm and he goes wild on her. She shows up. I’m writing him and all of a sudden he starts cursing at a guy walking looking at him I mean the dude goes wild . Before i know it he Grabs a 12 inch screwdriver and starts chasing the guy cursing . he didn’t catch him . Supposedly the guy I’m writing punched the guy in the face last night . To make a long story short i wrote both him and his ex wife . I was alert to the guy he was chasing if he pulled a gun out

Last edited:
Today I’m at a referral in the projects . Sitting on the porch . He calls his ex wife on phone to come over. She’s luke warm and he goes wild on her. She shows up. I’m writing him and all of a sudden he starts cursing at a guy walking looking at him I mean the dude goes wild . Before i know it he Grabs a 12 inch screwdriver and starts chasing the guy cursing . he didn’t catch him . Supposedly the guy I’m writing punched the guy in the face last night . To make a long story short i wrote both him and his ex wife . I was alert to the guy he was chasing if he pulled a gun out
Before you left the neigborhood you should have located the other guy and told him, "man, there is no doubt you need some burial insurance and I am here to take care of that for you.".

Had a sit recently with a husband and wife in the ghetto.

We were sitting outside, along with a few neighbors and several relatives. There was a drunk neighbor on the prospects' porch cussing. The wife went and told the neighbor to quit cussing, while she's doing business.

Neighbor kept cussing, and she finally went off on him. Neighbor cussed her out, and she told him to leave.

He walked off, saying he was going to go get his gun. When she sat back down, she just laughed and said that happens all the time

Back