Lapband Surgery

I comes down to control. You have to want to control yourself and tell your self not to eat the ice cream. People get this impression that you have to give up everything, when it is really everything in moderation. It would be interesting to find out if counseling helped keep people healthier. But it would probably end with everyone drugged.

I'll be the last one to talk about food. I think controlling food can be one of the hardest things someone can do. Literally the hardest thing I've done in my life (and I went to Marine boot camp) was losing a decent amount of weight over a year ago. What it's come down to for me is if it's not available I can't eat it - therefore we don't have crap in the house anymore. Our dessert now is fresh fruit so when I'm hungry after dinner there's simply no chips in the house - just strawberries. There's also no such animal as a diet. It's a permanent lifestyle change.

You have guys like me where if I can't eat what I want you can just shoot me. So the key was simply smaller portions and belive it not, snacking (healthy stuff) throughout the day. Then I'm not starving when dinner comes.

By the way, if it says "high fructose corn syrup" in the ingredients run away.

Wonder if it would be cheaper for insurance companies for pay for phychological counsiling in some cases instead of all these meds and procedures. Are there any studies on people who receive adequate counsiling and in return use healthcare less?

Yes and No! Counseling only helps people who make an "active" effort to change. Behavioral modication will help you cope with the change, Cognitive therapy will help you change your cognitions and processees, while Rogerian therapy (client centered) will help you feel more in control and positive, and Psychoanalytical Therapy (my favorite) will make you think about what was the catalyst that makes you do things.

Similar to our discussion the other day you have people who are motivated by nature vs. nurture. I learned the full power of motivation from the military, however, I employed introspection every since I was 8 or 9. Granted it was in depth, but I have always been a thinking/action person.

If somebody is obese and wants to lose weight by getting surgery, I could care less if that is what it takes to make them happy. From a psychological standpoint you will have arguments on both sides. If somebody is born with a giant mole on their nose and wants it to removed I see no problem with that because they had no control over it. However, if somebody eats like a big and then complains.....you will get no sympathy from me until you accept responsibility. As long as the rest of us don't have to pay for it and the individual doesn't expect insurance companies to pay for the procedure because they lack the motivation or will power to do anything about it.....I'm fine.

I comes down to control. You have to want to control yourself and tell your self not to eat the ice cream. People get this impression that you have to give up everything, when it is really everything in moderation. It would be interesting to find out if counseling helped keep people healthier. But it would probably end with everyone drugged.

Exactly, self control is very powerful! Many people think that counseling, which is very different from psychotherapy, which is very different from psychiatry, are all the same thing. They are each 3 specialties with individual sub-groups. Statistically speaking, it is harder to get into a doctorate program in Psychology then it is to get into Medical School. Now let's see the MD's bring it :)

I think medication is a lost resort for MOST issues. Excluding severe psychological issues (ADD, ADHD, Bi-Polar, etc.) merely talking about the issue out loud is half the battle. The rest will cost you $30-$100 per hour for X amount of months/years.....

Everybody knows that DENIAL is not just a river in Egypt.. :D

Back