Liberty Mutual or Farm Bureau

chastain77

Expert
I'm new to the industry and have no prior insurance experience. I was just curious if anyone has any past experience with either company as an agent and if so pro's and con's on each. thanks for the help

I will say that I recently turned down an offer with Liberty Mutual because of my interview with them. Although they offered a guaranteed salary, it sounded like they are looking for people they can control and I could just picture being hounded everyday about production. I also asked about benefits and vacation time and was told that they don't recommend that you take vacation your first few years, even though you accumulate vacation from day one. Their 401K match sounded great though.

I will also say that Liberty Mutual didn't work for me because I have spent the last 20 years living a life of 60-70 hours a week in car sales and management and I really want to have more control of my life than I have now and it sounded like Liberty Mutual would not have been a wise choice for me.

I have decided to go independent because of my sales experience and work ethic and I know that I don't need to be pushed everyday to get up and go to work.

To the original poster. If you work for someone, a company, you are going to be asked about production on a daily basis. You will be required as a new agent to produce a certain amount and if you cant, you have about 30 days to do it.

Take Farm Bureau for example.

The First month, you have to prouduce nothing. Get in and settled. Month 2 you better be clicking off some life aps. 3 per month with a minimum of $1000 premium and 8 P&C applications as well. If you do this, you will stay validated.

All of these requirements get tougher on month 13. Except the ap count requirements, they stay the same. But the premiums req's goes up.

If you fall off of validation, you have about 30 days. If you cant get back on, go ahead and throw in the towel.

I have decided to go independent because of my sales experience and work ethic and I know that I don't need to be pushed everyday to get up and go to work.

How long have you been independant? did you have much trouble learning the products and getting started since you were new to the industry?

How long have you been independant? did you have much trouble learning the products and getting started since you were new to the industry?

I am just getting started but I wanted the freedom that being an independent will give.

in my first interview they told me its a base salary of 30k-35k with commision on top of that. They also told me there would be a lot of nights and weekends so im guessing the salary is a way for them to somewhat control your life. They are rated in the top 50 best companies to start a career with so does anyone that works there have any input on them?

IF I had to pick from Liberty Mutual or Farm Bureau I would pick Farm Bureau. I know a couple of their agents.

But only if I had to pick from the two.

in my first interview they told me its a base salary of 30k-35k with commision on top of that. They also told me there would be a lot of nights and weekends so im guessing the salary is a way for them to somewhat control your life. They are rated in the top 50 best companies to start a career with so does anyone that works there have any input on them?

The way I was told that it was 30k-33k during the 3 months of training then around 23k+commission once you start selling. I could be wrong though.

Liberty Mutual is where I started my insurance career in 1989. It doesn't sound like it has changed much. We had authorizations for 14 agents in the Indianapolis region. the first year I was 15 agents come and go. That was when I figured out that it wasn't a "career" position. Micro management is the norm when you work there. Yes, the salary was nice, but they owned you and you will work a lot of hours.

If you want more of the scuttlebutt PM me.

Back