Manhattan Life CUL Dental Plan

I had a terrible experience with claims being denied for Hospital Indemnity policies with another Manhattan Life Company (Family Life) so would never consider any of their products-in my experience dental offices aren't cooperative with filing claims unless it's something they use all of the time as well.

Explaining the two ways claims are paid should be part of your presentation.

If the provider accepts the plan, the provider submits the claim.

If the provider doesn't accept the plan, explain how to submit a claim.

I'm expecting this product to require more "after the sale" onboarding service work.

Especially when they want to use it right away!

FYI, Central United also accepts the standard ADA claim form. In all honesty, it's in the client's best interest to negotiate the cash price and be reimbursed by the insurance company. Their benefit will go much further as opposed to the dentist filing direct and charging more.

The claims paperwork that the dentist needs to fill out is available for you to print on the producer portal, and the member can as well, and just take it in to the dentist. Its pretty simple, I think it's one page. There's a separate page for Vision, or Hearing. If the dentist just calls the number on the card, I think the filing process is fairly simple for them as well.

I took the policy out on myself about a month ago, and plan to use it soon, so I can tell my clients exactly how it works. I suggest you do the same. I also took out a delta dental policy, so I can use them both, and see which I want to sell most, Im hoping its the CUL. I have sold a few CUL already, and havent had any complaints.

You're looking at the thing I am wondering about while trying to decide on this issue.

With Delta Dental, the dentist's charge is adjusted to a contracted rate so you get a negotiation benefit from having the plan. It's easy to say "just negotiate a cash price with the dentist", but an individual patient has neither the knowledge or negotiating position to get the rates an insurance company would. I can no longer remember specific amounts, but awhile back the hygenist was discussing an extra cleaning with me and I think the cash rate she quoted was considerably more than the 2 semi annual rates paid by Delta in that same calendar year.

I assume, but don't know, that the CUL plan-just paying the bill-computes its payments based on the dentist's actual charges. I can't remember specific details now, but it seems like when I looked at the flyer there was also a 1 year waiting period, and also an indication that they only pay back 80% of the charge. Add to that, that at age 70+ I would be paying a certain $500 plus in premiums to get back an uncertain amount which is capped at $1,000-I'm not sure about the quality of the benefit.

I need to revisit those details and I will also be interested in hearing your experiences with the plans.

Last edited:
You're looking at the thing I am wondering about while trying to decide on this issue.

With Delta Dental, the dentist's charge is adjusted to a contracted rate so you get a negotiation benefit from having the plan. It's easy to say "just negotiate a cash price with the dentist", but an individual patient has neither the knowledge or negotiating position to get the rates an insurance company would. I can no longer remember specific amounts, but awhile back the hygenist was discussing an extra cleaning with me and I think the cash rate she quoted was considerably more than the 2 semi annual rates paid by Delta in that same calendar year.

I assume, but don't know, that the CUL plan-just paying the bill-computes its payments based on the dentist's actual charges. I can't remember specific details now, but it seems like when I looked at the flyer there was also a 1 year waiting period, and also an indication that they only pay back 80% of the charge. Add to that, that at age 70+ I would be paying a certain $500 plus in premiums to get back an uncertain amount which is capped at $1,000-I'm not sure about the quality of the benefit.

I need to revisit those details and I will also be interested in hearing your experiences with the plans.

In FL $480/year is $1500 in benefits.
No waiting period on preventive and basic services. 12 month wait on Major work

One of the things that I liked about this plan is covered Dental vision hearing as a pool of money, If you wanted to use $500 of it on glasses you could do that

This is the way it was presented to me and the way I sold it

Got a call today, Client was upset after waiting 6 months for glasses went to purchase and found out the glasses he wanted will Not be covered as they only cover basic bifocals to transition no extra's just basic $99 pair

I called them and 45 min hold time to find out he was correct they do not cover many types of glasses

One of the things that I liked about this plan is covered Dental vision hearing as a pool of money, If you wanted to use $500 of it on glasses you could do that

Got a call today, Client was upset after waiting 6 months for glasses went to purchase and found out the glasses he wanted will Not be covered as they only cover basic bifocals to transition no extra's just basic $99 pair

I called them and 45 min hold time to find out he was correct they do not cover many types of glasses

So are you saying that it's only a $60 benefit 1st year, $70 2nd year then $80? That is lousy....

So are you saying that it's only a $60 benefit 1st year, $70 2nd year then $80? That is lousy....

Yup I got to call another good client (who Has Multiple policies with me)

I sold him this plan 3 months ago and I know he is looking to buy a $500 pair of glasses when his 6 months comes up, Not looking forward to that call

Your experience is exactly why I really try to avoid ancillary benefits for my Medicare clients-I see it more as a way to lose clients rather than add income.

There is a dental plan now available (BrightIdea) that has $5K annual max using a good PPO network (DenteMax plus) for $59 a month up to age 80. It is a traditional 100/80/50 plan with a 12 month waiting period for major and covers implants (teeth), yet I am still reluctant to show it to clients (comp is 22% level as well). Maybe I'm just dumb lol :twitchy:

Your experience is exactly why I really try to avoid ancillary benefits for my Medicare clients-I see it more as a way to lose clients rather than add income.

There is a dental plan now available (BrightIdea) that has $5K annual max using a good PPO network (DenteMax plus) for $59 a month up to age 80. It is a traditional 100/80/50 plan with a 12 month waiting period for major and covers implants (teeth), yet I am still reluctant to show it to clients (comp is 22% level as well). Maybe I'm just dumb lol :twitchy:

That's exactly how I feel, It's not worth it at this point everything is going well with referrals and Med Supp/Med Adv side why mess with it

I don't like surprises

Back