Manhattan Life CUL Dental Plan

One of the things that I liked about this plan is covered Dental vision hearing as a pool of money, If you wanted to use $500 of it on glasses you could do that

This is the way it was presented to me and the way I sold it

Got a call today, Client was upset after waiting 6 months for glasses went to purchase and found out the glasses he wanted will Not be covered as they only cover basic bifocals to transition no extra's just basic $99 pair

I called them and 45 min hold time to find out he was correct they do not cover many types of glasses

I called and they said there is no limit on the cost. They do not cover rx sunglasses, tint, scratch resistant, poly carbon or anti-glare...

I called and they said there is no limit on the cost. They do not cover rx sunglasses, tint, scratch resistant, poly carbon or anti-glare...

And they do not cover Transition Bifocal, Which few of my clients want, They only cover basic bifocals which are cheap anyway.

That's what I meant Not that there was a limit but the glasses they do cover only cost $100 and the glasses that cost more are not covered

And they do not cover Transition Bifocal, Which few of my clients want, They only cover basic bifocals which are cheap anyway.

That's what I meant Not that there was a limit but the glasses they do cover only cost $100 and the glasses that cost more are not covered

I do not know much about glasses but I will soon. I have the plan and will see what happens with my claim. I just passed my 6 month mark. If it doesn't work the way my agent explained it I will sue his ass...:yes:

The claims paperwork that the dentist needs to fill out is available for you to print on the producer portal, and the member can as well, and just take it in to the dentist. Its pretty simple, I think it's one page. There's a separate page for Vision, or Hearing. If the dentist just calls the number on the card, I think the filing process is fairly simple for them as well.

I took the policy out on myself about a month ago, and plan to use it soon, so I can tell my clients exactly how it works. I suggest you do the same. I also took out a delta dental policy, so I can use them both, and see which I want to sell most, Im hoping its the CUL. I have sold a few CUL already, and havent had any complaints.

Did Bright Idea come to your attention when you were considering these other options?

Did Bright Idea come to your attention when you were considering these other options?

It came to mind, but then it left. I may check it out.

Im starting to think maybe the biggest problem with dental is us agents. We want bigger commissions. It seems the Delta plans seem to work well, and the dentists all like it, but the commission is pretty small, so nobody talks about it.

It came to mind, but then it left. I may check it out.

Im starting to think maybe the biggest problem with dental is us agents. We want bigger commissions. It seems the Delta plans seem to work well, and the dentists all like it, but the commission is pretty small, so nobody talks about it.
Three of the Delta Dental companies were in the top 10 premium growth companies in the ancillary benefits category. Tennessee Delta Dental was number one with 42% premium growth. There must be a demand for dental benefits. Manhattan is good if you are writing older folks but I wouldn't use it for families with kids as it does not have orthodontic coverage.

I can't remember exactly how long we have been on Delta group plans, but I think most of the plans our employers have chosen have not included orthodontic benefits-at any rate not specifically when we needed them.

I see that the other company Todd mentioned does include kids orthodontics but I bet there is an additional premium amount for that feature. That's one of those deals, you know when someone wants a 1K braces benefit, they're going to use it and the company has to get their money back somehow.

I know you and Goillini really like the CUL plan but I am not convinced it is the best fit for my personal current family circumstances.

After a short stint with CUL, I think I'm going back to Ameritas (formerly security life) for dental/vision as a primary option. I'll do CUL only if they really want the hearing benefits or if the dentist is not in network (although, they do have a non-network option which is OK).

For $39...
Ameritas has a $50 deductible as opposed to $100. Ameritas has 100% 1st year on Preventative dental (as opposed to 60%), 10/25/50 for Additional dental (fillings, oral surgery, extractions, crowns, bridges, dentures), and VSP for Vision. People LOVE VSP for Vision - it's "what they had when they were working."

For $53...
Ameritas has a $50 deductible, $2,000 max, 100% basic, 35/65/80 Basic, and 15/50/50 Major + VSP.

With VSP - you pay a little for the extras like anti-reflective and UV - but it's minimal.

I don't know - my fear is that when people are paying $31 or $41 for DVH, they won't enjoy (i.e., they'll complain) the 1st yr. preventative 40% bill after $100 deductible, and will forget that we told them that their first two cleanings, they'll wonder why they bought this.

I'll take the lower commission if it means a better overall value - unless ya'll think I'm missing something.

Latest posts

Back