Manhattan Life CUL Dental Plan

I don't know - my fear is that when people are paying $31 or $41 for DVH, they won't enjoy (i.e., they'll complain) the 1st yr. preventative 40% bill after $100 deductible, and will forget that we told them that their first two cleanings, they'll wonder why they bought this.

When you are talking about the $31 or $41 premium, are you talking about CUL or Ameritas, or something else?

(The $100 deductible sounds like a one time charge I saw when I tried looking up about the Spirit Dental which Todd mentioned.)

Is Ameritas a dental insurance company or a dental network?

When I tried doing some looking about the Spirit Dental which Todd mentioned, I got the impression that Ameritas was a dental network- a competition or alternative-whichever is the right term-to Dentemax. So I saw Spirit Dental in the Ameritas network and BrightIdea in the Dentemax network and started to wonder how my dentist would perceive those options in relation to the Delta Dental network.

When you are talking about the $31 or $41 premium, are you talking about CUL or Ameritas, or something else?

(The $100 deductible sounds like a one time charge I saw when I tried looking up about the Spirit Dental which Todd mentioned.)

Is Ameritas a dental insurance company or a dental network?

When I tried doing some looking about the Spirit Dental which Todd mentioned, I got the impression that Ameritas was a dental network- a competition or alternative-whichever is the right term-to Dentemax. So I saw Spirit Dental in the Ameritas network and BrightIdea in the Dentemax network and started to wonder how my dentist would perceive those options in relation to the Delta Dental network.

The $31/$41 was in reference to CUL, the premium for 65-76.

Ameritas is the dental insurance company - they bought Security Life. I use this site to quote (not soliciting as I'm only in OH - just showing you the site).

After a short stint with CUL, I think I'm going back to Ameritas (formerly security life) for dental/vision as a primary option. I'll do CUL only if they really want the hearing benefits or if the dentist is not in network (although, they do have a non-network option which is OK).

This touches on one of my challenges with the CUL product. Although I do say "what?" sometimes, I don't think I have yet reached the point where I need a hearing aid (although I think I actually get more hearing aid mailings than FE direct mail reply cards).

I haven't looked at the CUL stuff I can find online recently-that's something I was going to be doing over the next week, but what I remember now is that I had some question about the value of the vision portion to me and that basically there was an age based premium which I would pay in exchange for a potential access to a larger sum in the event I needed it for dental purposes. My age based charge was going to be very close, plus or minus, to the full retail price charge from my dentist for 2 annual visits and I did not see any indication that there would be reductions from full retail price to a network price like I have been used to seeing with Delta coverage.

Those thoughts, and the idea that one policy for two people would probably be cheaper than 2 individual policies were leading me to the idea that CUL was probably not going to turn out to be the wisest choice for me at this particular time.

This touches on one of my challenges with the CUL product. Although I do say "what?" sometimes, I don't think I have yet reached the point where I need a hearing aid (although I think I actually get more hearing aid mailings than FE direct mail reply cards).

I haven't looked at the CUL stuff I can find online recently-that's something I was going to be doing over the next week, but what I remember now is that I had some question about the value of the vision portion to me and that basically there was an age based premium which I would pay in exchange for a potential access to a larger sum in the event I needed it for dental purposes. My age based charge was going to be very close, plus or minus, to the full retail price charge from my dentist for 2 annual visits and I did not see any indication that there would be reductions from full retail price to a network price like I have been used to seeing with Delta coverage.

Those thoughts, and the idea that one policy for two people would probably be cheaper than 2 individual policies were leading me to the idea that CUL was probably not going to turn out to be the wisest choice for me at this particular time.
With CUL, two individual policies are cheaper than a Family policy... There are no netwrok reductions as there is no network.. Use any dentist.. Pool of money concept, you can use all are a portion for dental and/or vision and/or hearing.. My hearing aids cost $5K.. would have been nice to get $1500 reimbursed..

Last edited:
The $31/$41 was in reference to CUL, the premium for 65-76.

Ameritas is the dental insurance company - they bought Security Life. I use this site to quote (not soliciting as I'm only in OH - just showing you the site).

Thank you. I appreciate the information.

I am greatly encouraged because discussions in this, and other threads, in the last 2-3 days show me there are options.

And it also seems like you and gopokes and flm2 have to deal with the flip side of the same question I am looking at.

You have to look at things like the time cost of servicing it, whether not having it drives customers away and the compensation and decide whether or not to sell it. I have to look at costs and decide whether or not to buy it.

You have to consider a broad spectrum of customers and customer needs and all the issues of dealing with an assortment of companies and choose something to represent and sell. I have to look at the specific needs of one family unit and choose something to buy.

It is also a bit like the goal setting/objective threads. I am a drifter, not a goal setter. I am sure I have paid a price for that. Our employers have done our insurance thinking for us-now I have to learn to do it for myself. It is challenging.

With CUL, two individual policies are cheaper than a Family policy... There are no netwrok reductions as there is no network.. Use any dentist.. Pool of money concept, you can use all are a portion for dental and/or vision and/or hearing.. My hearing aids cost $5K.. would have been nice to get $1500 reimbursed..

Ok, thank you-but also another question in response.

A picture is starting to emerge for me that looks something like:

Delta Dental -- Delta Dental network (no vision addition?)
Ameritas -- Ameritas dental network (VSP vision addition? extra cost?)
Spirit Dental -- Ameritas dental network (vision addition and cost?)
BrightIdea Dental -- Dentemax dental network (vision addition and cost?)
CUL -- an option on a bucket of cash

And VSP as a standalone supplementary vision coverage if needed.

The coverage is needed for two people of widely spaced ages so it cannot be purchased as a health insurance addon.

For each choice I need to evaluate Cost, Features, and pros and cons.

I believe some of those carriers have now gone to 3 tier pricing, rather than just 2 tiers.

In addition to being cheaper than a family plan, do you find that 2 CUL policies are also cheaper than 2 spouse + 1 policies?

Ok, thank you-but also another question in response.

A picture is starting to emerge for me that looks something like:

Delta Dental -- Delta Dental network (no vision addition?)
Ameritas -- Ameritas dental network (VSP vision addition? extra cost?)
Spirit Dental -- Ameritas dental network (vision addition and cost?)
BrightIdea Dental -- Dentemax dental network (vision addition and cost?)
CUL -- an option on a bucket of cash

And VSP as a standalone supplementary vision coverage if needed.

The coverage is needed for two people of widely spaced ages so it cannot be purchased as a health insurance addon.

For each choice I need to evaluate Cost, Features, and pros and cons.

I believe some of those carriers have now gone to 3 tier pricing, rather than just 2 tiers.

In addition to being cheaper than a family plan, do you find that 2 CUL policies are also cheaper than 2 spouse + 1 policies?
They only have individual and family rates... They don't have an insured + spouse rate. Here is their brochure with coverage and rates... (Tennessee)

Dropbox - Dental Vision Tri Fold brochure.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you. I can't remember who, but somebody awhile back was fussing at me about my reading comprehension. Once again I have screwed up. I totally misunderstood what you were saying-I thought you were comparing 2 CUL individual policies to family rates of another company.

The brochure also clarifies Scott's comments, reminds me of my concerns and highlights, and emphasizes the need which another agent expressed in another thread-to determine what "good" means to you (the policy user).

The thing I don't think goillini's and your comments clarified for me is that when I pay my premium and get an option on a 1K bucket of cash, I cannot withdraw 100 percent of my expenditure for a particular dental, vision or hearing service. CUL also does not provide a reduction from dental list price to dental network price. (and the dental networks in my location may be somewhat more extensive than the networks in locations referenced in some other threads.) My family unit does not require hearing services at this time.

I have to try to find some EOBs and do some actual cost reviews over the next week.

Thank you. I can't remember who, but somebody awhile back was fussing at me about my reading comprehension. Once again I have screwed up. I totally misunderstood what you were saying-I thought you were comparing 2 CUL individual policies to family rates of another company.

The brochure also clarifies Scott's comments, reminds me of my concerns and highlights, and emphasizes the need which another agent expressed in another thread-to determine what "good" means to you (the policy user).

The thing I don't think goillini's and your comments clarified for me is that when I pay my premium and get an option on a 1K bucket of cash, I cannot withdraw 100 percent of my expenditure for a particular dental, vision or hearing service. CUL also does not provide a reduction from dental list price to dental network price. (and the dental networks in my location may be somewhat more extensive than the networks in locations referenced in some other threads.) My family unit does not require hearing services at this time.

I have to try to find some EOBs and do some actual cost reviews over the next week.

Not sure what you mean by that..... If I had the 1K plan in force when I bought my hearing aids, I could have used the whole 1K for that one service.. Or, when I bought dentures due to my cancer treatment, I could ahve used the total $1K for that one service that year. Like most other insurance, if you wait until you actually need it, you have probably waited too long..

After a short stint with CUL, I think I'm going back to Ameritas (formerly security life) for dental/vision as a primary option. I'll do CUL only if they really want the hearing benefits or if the dentist is not in network (although, they do have a non-network option which is OK).

For $39...
Ameritas has a $50 deductible as opposed to $100. Ameritas has 100% 1st year on Preventative dental (as opposed to 60%), 10/25/50 for Additional dental (fillings, oral surgery, extractions, crowns, bridges, dentures), and VSP for Vision. People LOVE VSP for Vision - it's "what they had when they were working."

For $53...
Ameritas has a $50 deductible, $2,000 max, 100% basic, 35/65/80 Basic, and 15/50/50 Major + VSP.

With VSP - you pay a little for the extras like anti-reflective and UV - but it's minimal.

I don't know - my fear is that when people are paying $31 or $41 for DVH, they won't enjoy (i.e., they'll complain) the 1st yr. preventative 40% bill after $100 deductible, and will forget that we told them that their first two cleanings, they'll wonder why they bought this.

I'll take the lower commission if it means a better overall value - unless ya'll think I'm missing something.

I can’t find many Dentist in FL that take Ameritas.

And what I look at is major work. Where most plans will only cover 50%. With CUL it’s 60%, 70%, 80% after year 3 and you can’t beat that. That’s where the bigger Out of pocket expenses come.

But to me the network is key. I’m tired of answering phone calls about a horrible dental network while I make $2/month.

Back