Marketing Medicare Supp to Seniors Not in IEP

Keep in mind the jmark (OP) is in OH, and he can't market to them anyway he wants. No direct contact in person, meaning can't approach them in the grocery store or put flyers on their auto while parked, or door knock or cold call them. So the new OH law is a game changer for medicare.

To jmark's question about folks being healthy enough to pass u/w... Judging from your prior posts, my perception is that you are working the lower income spectrum of candidates. Those that qualify for LIS. My experience in working this market tells me that the folks are largely less healthy than the overall portion of the over 65 market. Yes, lower socio-economic folks tend to smoke (COPD), eat all the wrong foods, (Diabetes), maybe have head less exposure to healthcare over the span of their lives, etc, etc. So I would say that by working the lower income market that you haven't had a decent sampling of the overall market.

Hence, you need more exposure to a greater portion of the over 65 market. How you accomplish this in OH is going to have to be thru DM, seminars, or other creative means, all of which cost money, unfortunately.

When I did AEP, the majority of clients were lower income, but not all. T65 clients that I've met with are a good mix of income. I definitely agree with your input about income and health relationship. They do tend to go hand in hand.

In regards to health, etc., do you find that there tends to be similarities in rural vs. big city? Also, with marketing efforts, is it best then to target the wealthier client if you are looking past age 65?

The reason I asked this question is because the majority of the people that I've wrote...T65 or AEP clients have issues with diabetes, HBP, etc.

The only reason these issues come up is because the client brings it up.

So, the majority of what I'm writing seems like it would be hard to get issued on a med supp outside the T65 and AEP time tables.

The issue I have is that I haven't written anyone yet that is changing from one med supp to another to save money. So, I'm very naive to the process.

The only comparison I have to individual major medical health plans and how they underwrite. I haven't received any "field" guides from the med supp companies to see how they underwrite risks.

Again...this is why I'm asking the question.

Forget everything you know about underwriting as it relates to health insurance.

I think you need to do more research regarding what is acceptable vs non acceptable when it comes to their answers to health questions. The underwriting guide and application you have from each company you are contracted with is your source of information. If you can't find an answer there call underwriting. Underwriters are your friends.

Diabetes is not a problem, if they are taking pills just about every company will write them. There are even several companies who will take them even if they are insulin dependent diabetics. High Blood Pressure is almost never a problem unless they are taking several different pills for HBP. Read what companies have to say about cancer, heart attack, strokes, etc.

Does anyone really think that if answering health questions for those over 65 were a major stumbling block in writing business that I would have been focusing on those people for over eighteen years?

If you want to talk about it give me a call.

I find it to be a huge problem getting coverage for med sups for people not in their open enrollment. I just had a 78 year old declined by AmCon on an "interpretation" of a question on their app.

Keep in mind that I only market for FE and those respondents do seem to be more on the unhealthy side. I do believe that if I marketed for med sups I would run into more of the ones that do qualify and are looking to save money.

I find it to be a huge problem getting coverage for med sups for people not in their open enrollment. I just had a 78 year old declined by AmCon on an "interpretation" of a question on their app.

Keep in mind that I only market for FE and those respondents do seem to be more on the unhealthy side. I do believe that if I marketed for med sups I would run into more of the ones that do qualify and are looking to save money.

I believe you would also. Your target market is totally different than mine.

Two things that I may do differently than a lot of other agents.

1. I market to people who live in rural America. Med Supp premiums are less in rural areas because insurance companies have determined that people who live in the country are healthier than those who live in metro areas. (No, it isn't because doctors charge more in "cities".)

2. I don't market to those who are without financial resources and or who qualify for Medicaid.

I'm contracted with about 5 Med supp and none of them take insulin dependent diabetics. I am very curious to know what other carrier besides AARP that takes insulin dependent diabetic?

I believe you would also. Your target market is totally different than mine.

Two things that I may do differently than a lot of other agents.

1. I market to people who live in rural America. Med Supp premiums are less in rural areas because insurance companies have determined that people who live in the country are healthier than those who live in metro areas. (No, it isn't because doctors charge more in "cities".)

2. I don't market to those who are without financial resources and or who qualify for Medicaid.

I'm in rural America so this is who I need to work with. Now that cold calling is out of question for Ohio agents, I'm looking at trying to do effective mailers. I'd like to broaden my clients from my T65 group to older. I would think that there are effective ways to market to rural people 67...the issue beyond the marketing side of things is getting business issued when an AOR can't be done.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'm contracted with about 5 Med supp and none of them take insulin dependent diabetics. I am very curious to know what other carrier besides AARP that takes insulin dependent diabetic?

Insulin dependent is tough to insure unless I'm missing something. I have AARP, Anthem, Forethought, Medico, and working on a few other companies to offer clients....all that I've seen don't take insulin dependent diabetics outside of IEP or GI periods.

Last edited:
Insulin dependent is tough to insure unless I'm missing something. I have AARP, Anthem, Forethought, Medico, and working on a few other companies to offer clients....all that I've seen don't take insulin dependent diabetics outside of IEP or GI periods.

Best to know your products.......... read the app.

Forethought will insure up to 50 units of insulin on med supp. The issue comes in when the insured is also on HBP meds. The u/w guide states that if they are on both, the bp must be below 150/85, which most on meds are... but they will scrutinize with more than a fine tooth comb. If you can submit documentation with app this is good too.

I'm in rural America so this is who I need to work with. Now that cold calling is out of question for Ohio agents, I'm looking at trying to do effective mailers. I'd like to broaden my clients from my T65 group to older. I would think that there are effective ways to market to rural people 67...the issue beyond the marketing side of things is getting business issued when an AOR can't be done.

I'm apparently missing something. What does AOR (Agent of Record) have to do with getting policies issued?

Try doing a mailing for DVH (Dental, Vision & Hearing). Then transition into Med Supps and FE.

It isn't a major issue. SportsNut gave you one company, MOO will also accept someone who takes up to 50 units of insulin. It doesn't matter what the BP was before they started taking meds, just as long as it is not over 150/85 while on meds. If you look further you may find other companies that will also insure those who are insulin dependent.

You really need to do some research and learn more about the products that are available. You don't have accurate information.

Last edited:
Best to know your products.......... read the app.

Forethought will insure up to 50 units of insulin on med supp. The issue comes in when the insured is also on HBP meds. The u/w guide states that if they are on both, the bp must be below 150/85, which most on meds are... but they will scrutinize with more than a fine tooth comb. If you can submit documentation with app this is good too.

I know this about Forethought....just was saying that in the event someone is taking more than this along with multiple meds...it's going to be tough.

Also, I need to get with Forethought and have them send me U/W guide...I'm newly contracted with them.
I'm apparently missing something. What does AOR (Agent of Record) have to do with getting policies issued?

Try doing a mailing for DVH (Dental, Vision & Hearing). Then transition into Med Supps and FE.

It isn't a major issue. SportsNut gave you one company, MOO will also accept someone who takes up to 50 units of insulin. It doesn't matter what the BP was before they started taking meds, just as long as it is not over 150/85 while on meds. If you look further you may find other companies that will also insure those who are insulin dependent.

You really need to do some research and learn more about the products that are available. You don't have accurate information.

Probably the best way to sum up everything is that since I've done mainly IEP and AEP switches....I've not met with clients that have to go through UW....this was why I asked these questions....I've got a lot to learn.

Thanks.

Just was saying this as worse case scenario...if they don't have agent that is helping them maybe I can be their AOR....

Last edited:
Also, I need to get with Forethought and have them send me U/W guide...I'm newly contracted with them...

Again, you need to bone up on the product... the U/W guide is right before your eyes, assuming that you can log onto the Forethought website. Once logged on, go to tab across the top title, "Training & Sales Support", the very first link there is the Med Supp U/W Guidelines. In an hr or less you can be an expert on the product.

Back