Medicare Cold Call Scenarios

I saw a bright yellow lawn sign by the road in front of an insurance office the other day that said "We sell Medicare Advantage" or something like that. Is that legal? (doesn't sound like it by reading this thread)

So if I wanted to list the types of insurance I sell on a flyer or website or business card, it would not be allowed to say "Medicare Advantage", right?

Last edited:
I saw a bright yellow lawn sign by the road in front of an insurance office the other day that said "We sell Medicare Advantage" or something like that. Is that legal? (doesn't sound like it by reading this thread)

So if I wanted to list the types of insurance I sell on a flyer or website or business card, it would not be allowed to say "Medicare Advantage", right?

I think that would be ok as long as he didn't specify plans on the sign and did a scope for walk-ins (which would be rare)

I see people list Medicare Advantage in newspaper ads and on shopping carts at the grocery store. I believe (key word = believe) it's permissible as long as they don't use plan specific information. However, it might be permissible to use plan specific information it is approved by the plan and CMS.

I can't remember where I read it but I am pretty sure I saw that you can list Medicare Advantage on your business card. I have cards printed by one of my Medicare Advantage plans for me with their name on it. I hope it's permissible otherwise I have about 1,000 violations hanging out there. As I understand it the key to having plan specific information is having it approved.

They can always change it the next day. Here in California our business card FONTS have to be a certain size. I always forget what the size is so I make everything GIGANTIC.

It sounds like there is a lot of confusion even among the more experienced agents. I have to go to some MA training soon, so I'm going to try to find the answers.

So if I'm in a prospects house selling FE, I can't say "Medicare Advantage", but I can hand them a card or flyer that says "Medicare Advantage"? That just sounds like playing games.

It sounds like there is a lot of confusion even among the more experienced agents. I have to go to some MA training soon, so I'm going to try to find the answers.

So if I'm in a prospects house selling FE, I can't say "Medicare Advantage", but I can hand them a card or flyer that says "Medicare Advantage"? That just sounds like playing games.

I don't think that experienced agents are "confused", I believe it is because the MA guidelines/rules are written in such a way that any number of interpretations can apply.

If one calls CMS they are liable to get a different answer from each person they talk to.

You can say Medicare Advantage. You just show plan specifics.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You can say Medicare Advantage. You just can't show plan specifics.

ninja edit from my phone

Last edited:
A few years ago we hired a team of bright yellow chicken costume wearing people to stand outside of our group sales presentations, hold signs, and waive at oncoming cars. This was cleared with CMS at that time.

Things have changed a lot since then, but still, you are able to have Medicare Advantage on your business cards, and even a Medicare Advantage sign in front of your office. As long as there is no mention of anything plan specific.

If the sign says "0 premium medicare advantage plans" that would be a problem, and your first guest would probably be a very friendly secret shopper.

The sign and business card is okay, but in case you are wondering, you can no longer have farm animals waiving people into group sales presentations. Those days are gone.

Latest posts

Back