Medicare Website

mickeyma

Guru
100+ Post Club
I noticed that many agents still use Medicare in the website. It is my understanding that this is now illegal so I had to redo my website with a different name.

What has been the experiences of other agents?

When the rule came out, I contacted the legal department of UHC. They were unclear about the website naming but suggested it would be best to remove Medicare from my website name.

I noticed that many agents still use Medicare in the website. It is my understanding that this is now illegal so I had to redo my website with a different name.

Depends on what the website actually says.

CMS can only regulate C & D. You can run around in a red, white and blue thong if you want to.

And never ask UHC anything about compliance. They're the pickiest company out there. Ask someone else.

Notice the word "Misleading." Just use the standard disclaimer on your website. Note I do watch lawyer shows on TV but I'm not an attorney or do I give legal advice.

A non-government site powered by XXX Agency, a health insurance agency.

XXX Agency and Medicare supplement insurance plans are not connected with or endorsed by the U.S. government or the federal Medicare program. We offer plans from a number of insurance companies.

In addition to your marketing materials, CMS prohibits the use of “Medicare” in your business name, logo, or website URL if used in a misleading way — one that would cause potential enrollees or beneficiaries confusion over whether you're affiliated with Medicare.

I think you solved it, Duaine. The key word is "misleading." And, putting in the phrase that I am not connected with Medicare would make my website acceptable.

Thank you.

Ok, I'm going to change the name of my website. I will back up my files and hopefully be able to insert them into a new domain without much hassle.

Any tips would be appreciated.

That's why i changed from Eddie's Medicare Agency to the EddieCare Agency

Yes it's illegal. Same for aca Marketplace or exchange names.

Big money gets away with it due to lawyers. Scam agents also get away with it because they just e neglect the rules

It’s 100% non compliant to have the world medicare in your business name. Wether anyone ever comes after you is another matter . I’m sure there’s a chance a jeoulous agent turns you in .

Back