Minimize Repair Cost Above Deductible?

stevewaclo

Hello all,

Here’s my situation. I was foolishly in a hurry yesterday while backing our 2020 Tesla Model 3 out of the garage with my wife in the passenger seat and two grandkids in the back. The passenger side rear door was open and struck the garage door rail and wall. There were no injuries. My insurance is with Progressive and a collision claim ($500 deductible) has been filed.

Neither door will close and the right rear window was shattered. The door card on the rear door will need to be replaced. The only other visible damage is that the rear door has a very minor scuff along the top rear edge where it hit the wall, and at 4 years and 50,000 miles, it would be OK with me to touch up the paint. The doors not closing is another matter, and I believe the B pillar, where the rear door is mounted has been displaced. A claims adjuster has yet to be assigned.

And yes, there is a question!

Full coverage on the car is already quite expensive and of course I’m concerned about the premium increase that will surely happen. I’ve scheduled repair with the Tesla Collision Center for August 8th and an associate there told me that based on the photos I submitted, even though I would tolerate touching up the minor door scuff, they are required to bring the car back to 100% and would be required to paint the entire door or reject doing the work. Again, the B pillar situation is no doubt going to be the major repair cost.

My question!

Should I simply go with the having Tesla do the work or, in the interest of minimizing Progressive’s cost above my $500 deductible, should I consider an alternative shop that would be willing to just touch up the door? I’m trying to be “nice” to Progressive because I suspect their total repair cost will reflect later on my inevitable premium increase.

Or am I overthinking this and the additional paint work may be small potatoes in the big picture and that part of Progressive’s cost may not have much of an impact on my premium increase? No prior claims over many years with progressive, BTW.

I defer to the wisdom of the Forum!

Thanks in advance.

A tough spot to be in minor accident can lead to unexpected repair costs, and the impact on your insurance premium a valid concern.
Things to Consider
Tesla's Repair Standards, understandable that you'd prefer to avoid a full door repaint for a minor scuff. However, Tesla will probably insistence on restoring the car to its original condition is standard practice for many dealerships and body shops. This is to maintain the vehicle's value and ensure safety standards.
Insurance Coverage,
While it's likely that this will increase in your premium, the exact amount will depend on several factors including your insurance history, the cost of the repairs, and your state's insurance laws.
B-Pillar Damage,
The extent of the damage to the B-pillar will significantly impact the repair cost.
This is a critical structural component, so it's essential to have it repaired correctly.
You can always
Get the always Insurance Adjuster assess the damage and provide a detailed estimate. This will give you a better understanding of the potential costs. You don't have to file the claim then
Discuss Options with Tesla While they may have strict repair standards, it's worth having a conversation with them about your concerns. Perhaps they can offer some flexibility or alternative solutions.
An explore Aftermarket Repair Options, If the cost of the Tesla repair is exorbitant, you might consider getting quotes from independent body shops.
However, be aware that using a non-Tesla approved shop might void certain warranties.
Review Insurance Policy: Understand your coverage, including any deductibles, rental car reimbursement, and potential premium increases.
Remember: Document everything. Take photos of the damage, keep copies of all estimates and repair orders. This will be helpful when dealing with both the insurance company and Tesla
The resale value of you vehicle would be a factor, it's reported to Carfax and how the repairs are Done.
Hope this helps

Sunshinered18,

Thanks for making time to do an in depth assessment of my situation 👍. Lots of items for me to consider.

As you noted, my inevitable premium increase will depend on a number of factors but to the extent anything is under my control, I believe I will explore the option of a non-Tesla collision shop.

Your learned insights are much appreciated.

Following up.

The car is with Tesla’s Reno Collision Facility and repairs will be completed by 8/23. Total estimate from Progressive came in at $4500. B pillar was not damaged and in spite of the only paint damage being the minor scuff on the door edge, which I was willing to have simply touched up, Tesla insisted on repainting the door and blending into adjacent panels. Front door was OK.
IMHO, fixing the damaged hinges, replacing the glass and door card and other minor bits would have been satisfactory to me. No other options in town for Tesla repair.
Looking forward to my next Progressive renewal. 😟

Attachments

• IMG_2776.jpeg
    IMG_2776.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
Only way to avoid a surcharge would be to NOT contact the claims department but you already crossed that off the list.

Back