Mortgage vs. Insurance?

That B2B method John is using is especially great for the impatient. There are times I can't stand to phone, esp if nothing is jelling. So grab some brochures, or flyers, and walk the beat.

Amazing what you can size up by just walking in...and prospects feel the same way about you. I need to line myself up with a couple major medical contracts, and start canvassing.

Nothing will replace B to B as far as results. That, of course, predicates itself on the fact that you don't mind meeting with people face to face. Some people get a stomach ache just thinking about B to B. For me personally it's much easier to slap out flyers and let people engage me then pester people on the phone. I abhor doing telemarketing myself.

Getting off the ground in this business means creating a system you enjoy. If you don't enjoy it you ain't gonna do it or stick to it - despite ROI. I always made money off shared leads but I got to the point that I simply hated dealing with them. It's not all about money but also quality of life. Are you gonna telemarket 3 hours a day if you hate it? Would you be effective?

Sometimes the problem with advice on message boards is it's agent specific. People need to find their own comfort zone for marketing.

Thanks Police and Healthagent,

I had the impression Healthagent you are still cold calling to this day from what I read in other posts. I thought you send a brochure in the mail to motivated prospects you've coldcalled and later you followed-up with call2 and check if they are ready to sign-up over the phone.. I don't mind prospecting in the streets because I canvassed in the past for the alarm and satellite business.. Canvassing or phonework, I guess whatever works for you if you dont' mind putting the labor/hard work in prospecting....

I do appreciate the offer, but there are enough scripts on this forum that I have posted. I'm more of a "follow these guidelines" when calling vs. saying the standard remarks to every person. You're more than free to critique the scripts I have posted on this forum.

It sounds like you are on the right track by testing the waters.

Thanks ProSal

Thanks Police and Healthagent,

I had the impression Healthagent you are still cold calling to this day from what I read in other posts. I thought you send a brochure in the mail to motivated prospects you've coldcalled and later you followed-up with call2 and check if they are ready to sign-up over the phone.. I don't mind prospecting in the streets because I canvassed in the past for the alarm and satellite business.. Canvassing or phonework, I guess whatever works for you if you dont' mind putting the labor/hard work in prospecting....

You were correct. I have spent the last few years basically calling leads and have ignored my community. And four years later I'm still calling leads and I know of agents who are still calling leads 10 years plus into this business. I do not want to make that mistake.

I am now only interested in building a strong community presence so it's ads in local publications, B to B, doorhangers and participating in local events. Over time, ads will take over.

You were correct. I have spent the last few years basically calling leads and have ignored my community. And four years later I'm still calling leads and I know of agents who are still calling leads 10 years plus into this business. I do not want to make that mistake.

I am now only interested in building a strong community presence so it's ads in local publications, B to B, doorhangers and participating in local events. Over time, ads will take over.

Just make sure you don't come east. I'd hate to see all the flyers stolen by the competition and your B2B force abducted :biggrin:

That's not a good sign Healthagent if some agents have been around ten years and still prospecting. Whatever happen to the residual income after five years and then you don't have to work as hard? That is one of many reasons I may consider this business because of potential residual income....

True and I often wonder that; "where's the big book of business?" I personally have great renewals - especially considering that I didn't even get licensed until Oct '03 and didn't go independent until spring of '04. I'm tracking six figure renewals also taking into consideration moving people to other carriers every few years.

Without my renewal income I'd never be able to make a move like this. It's very comforting to have the bills paid without having to generate new business. I have no idea what's up with agents who have been around for 5, 10, 15, 20 and on. I'd think they'd have millions and millions of business on the books yet a lot of these guys don't know where their next deal is coming from.

Has anyone ever used or checked out the cost of a billboard? If you are set up correctly (good website, etc.), have an eye catching sign design and if it is placed in the right location - I think it could generate a lot of attention. It would certainly promote community involvement. It's just a thought - I have never heard it mentioned here before. Perhaps there is a good reason it has never been discussed before.

True and I often wonder that; "where's the big book of business?" I personally have great renewals - especially considering that I didn't even get licensed until Oct '03 and didn't go independent until spring of '04. I'm tracking six figure renewals also taking into consideration moving people to other carriers every few years.

Without my renewal income I'd never be able to make a move like this. It's very comforting to have the bills paid without having to generate new business. I have no idea what's up with agents who have been around for 5, 10, 15, 20 and on. I'd think they'd have millions and millions of business on the books yet a lot of these guys don't know where their next deal is coming from.

That's awesome Healthagent you are tracking six figures. When do you think is average years to achieve that goal for six figure renewal income assuming I work average hard in this business?. Correct me if I'm wrong from what I read is you've been around for almost four years in this health insurance business...

Back