Move out of MAPD Service Area- GI for Med Supp?

What should happen is that the MAPD customer service will take the new address, ideally identify it as being out of the service area, and get the into to another dept to process the termination which will trigger a letter saying the MAPD has been termed for moving out of the service area. They may or may not offer to transfer to sales dept to choose a new plan.

in this case, the current MAPD does not operate in Texas (yippee, another Californian ). I’m curious to see how the letter reads. The ONLY way for her to leave her current plan would be a MOVE special election for December 1, so I do think that it will work.

in this case, the current MAPD does not operate in Texas (yippee, another Californian ). I’m curious to see how the letter reads. The ONLY way for her to leave her current plan would be a MOVE special election for December 1, so I do think that it will work.

Now I'm going to get into technicalities. Client is moving from CA to TX, right? It's an involuntary disenrollment from the CA MAPD and once that's processed she'll get the letter saying she's been termed due to moving out of the service area. Then she'd want to join Med Supp + PDP using the SEP for the move. If you do the PDP first before the MAPD is involuntarily termed then she won't have that letter about being MAPD termed due to the move and some carriers are really picky about seeing that.

Now I'm going to get into technicalities. Client is moving from CA to TX, right? It's an involuntary disenrollment from the CA MAPD and once that's processed she'll get the letter saying she's been termed due to moving out of the service area. Then she'd want to join Med Supp + PDP using the SEP for the move. If you do the PDP first before the MAPD is involuntarily termed then she won't have that letter about being MAPD termed due to the move and some carriers are really picky about seeing that.

In this case, the Californian is LIS, so Medicare will assign her a PDP in the Texas. I’ll just leave that part alone and take care of the GI SUPP situation first.

In this case, the Californian is LIS, so Medicare will assign her a PDP in the Texas. I’ll just leave that part alone and take care of the GI SUPP situation first.

I DONT think that this situation is ideal. The disenrollment letter came without mention of address change and mailed to the previous California address. She has not joined a rx plan Part D. She will make GI Med Supp application tomorrow for 12-1-21 effective date.
Would she have been able to make an address change through the Socisl Security phone number and then get disenrolled from MA once SS would let the MA know of the out of service area?

Last edited:
Back