need advice on scooter insurance

tbudx3

My son just bought a 2009 yamaha C3 XF50 scooter in California and needs advice on best insurance to get. My son is 37 years old, has his own home, and is single. He does not have a lot of experience with riding bikes but he does have a permit to ride it. I understand that in California you only need liability coverage which is 15/30/5. My insurance company quoted me 637.00 per year for a policy because he does not have a lot of experience riding. There is no way I am going to pay that much for a policy. He only paid 2,000 dollars for the scooter. Can I get some advice on who has the best insurance and what coverage you would suggest.

My son just bought a 2009 yamaha C3 XF50 scooter in California and needs advice on best insurance to get. My son is 37 years old, has his own home, and is single. He does not have a lot of experience with riding bikes but he does have a permit to ride it. I understand that in California you only need liability coverage which is 15/30/5. My insurance company quoted me 637.00 per year for a policy because he does not have a lot of experience riding. There is no way I am going to pay that much for a policy. He only paid 2,000 dollars for the scooter. Can I get some advice on who has the best insurance and what coverage you would suggest.

might be time to let him spread his wings & soar. Good life lesson for your son to check on stuff like this before buying. good life lesson for you that it may just be time for him at age 37 to begin to ask his own questions & pay his $637 per year insurance premium.

I am guessing the insurance may also be extra expensive if he has not built his own credit or had his own insurance premiums for car & house/renters

I would just call a broker and have them shop it. Along with your own insurance. Sounds like you are with a captive.

Dairyland is a common insurer of motorcycles. Check them but your broker can shop 50 companies.

I understand that in California you only need liability coverage which is 15/30/5. My insurance company quoted me 637.00 per year for a policy because he does not have a lot of experience riding. There is no way I am going to pay that much for a policy. He only paid 2,000 dollars for the scooter. .

Caveat, not an agent.

I don't think the cost of vehicle liability insurance is based on the purchase price of the motorized transportation the insured driver or rider uses. I would expect it to be priced based on the claim risk the insured presents to the insurance carrier.

Caveat, not an agent.

I don't think the cost of vehicle liability insurance is based on the purchase price of the motorized transportation the insured driver or rider uses. I would expect it to be priced based on the claim risk the insured presents to the insurance carrier.
Yup, no such thing as a fender bender when it comes to motorized "bikes" of any size. They're also easily stolen which also increases risk.

Caveat, not an agent.

You're right.

However, the price for comprehensive and collision, had he bought it, would have been based on value (ACV) along with the risk the insured presents to the insurance company.

My insurance company quoted me 637.00 per year for a policy because he does not have a lot of experience riding.

Dude...$53.09 a month is too much for insurance? You had to have known you were going to get roasted right? As others have stated, it's not the price of the scooter, it's the potential of liability payout for an inexperienced driver. A scooter can do a lot of damage to a pedestrian or even property.

You could always look at doing a surety bond, as far as I can tell California allows you to post one under their financial responsibility law. Call the DMV to confirm. If your son has STELLAR credit, he could qualify for a bond around $350.

Downside, he gets in an accident and he's on his own, and he's filing a guarantee of $35,000 under the bond.

Hope he's a good driver, despite his inexperience.

Back