Need to Find GOOD SF Agent !!!

vkflowers

We have been State Farm clients for well over 20 years. We've never made a late payment or filed a claim and even once returned an insurance check for a piece of jewelry that was later found. We have both auto and home with them (big house, outbuildings, 4 automobiles).

For 20 years, we had an agent who never paid us any attention at all - no phone calls, no indication at all that we were paying him money every month. We got fed up finally with the total neglect and moved to another agent.

Shortly after the move to the new agent, our relatively new home was struck by lightening and two days later my husband and son were in a horrible car accident (hydroplaned) and totaled our car.

Needless to say we had a couple of BIG claims all at one time.

Now the new agent keeps telling us we're on the brink of being dropped due to our claims record. What??? You've got to be kidding me!!! We have paid and paid and paid for insurance - you know, that stuff that's supposed to be there in times of disaster when you need it?? - and now our "claims record" has us on the brink of being dropped??? After two events that were totally out of our control and not due to negligence????

I'm so completely pissed, I'd honestly like to find a new company but I may be willing to give State Farm another chance IF - and only IF - I can find a sympathetic, communicative agent who doesn't take us and our money for granted. Is there such a thing?

I'm close to Knoxville, Tennessee. Help, please. This is pure insanity. I'm sick of being threatened by our current agent after a 20-plus-year exemplary record of payments with no claims. Surely this is NOT how it is supposed to be...

So is there any company who won't do this kind of thing??

BTW, as a side note - both agents smoke in their offices making it very difficult for me to sit in there. I always come out smelling like an ashtray. It's nauseating.

I kicked State Farm to the curb 15 years ago after 20 years of being a great customer of theirs.
They were morons then. I don't know how they are now.

Unless I'm grossly mistaken this has *nothing* to do with the agent. Finding another SF agent won't change the way SF does business.

Depending on where you are near Knoxville I may be able to help you. No, I'm not a State Farm agent. I'm the life guy for an independent P&C agency.

Feel free to contact us as we are licensed in TN and have a few carriers that will give State Farm a run for their money. Take a look at Erie Insurance as that is our best carrier for TN. I will pm you our number.

Unless I'm grossly mistaken this has *nothing* to do with the agent. Finding another SF agent won't change the way SF does business.

The only reason I was willing to consider another SF agent is due to a comment made by our current agent that it wasn't his decision but that of his underwriters. Does this mean that all of SF has the same underwriters? I know zilch about the insurance business.

For those of you who offered assistance, you'll be hearing from me and thank you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I kicked State Farm to the curb 15 years ago after 20 years of being a great customer of theirs.
They were morons then. I don't know how they are now.

Do you mind telling me who you went with? Are you still with them?

Last edited:
The only reason I was willing to consider another SF agent is due to a comment made by our current agent that it wasn't his decision but that of his underwriters. Does this mean that all of SF has the same underwriters? I know zilch about the insurance business.

For those of you who offered assistance, you'll be hearing from me and thank you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Do you mind telling me who you went with? Are you still with them?

State Farm is fairly strict in their underwriting standards. Also, I would assume all agents in the same region would share the same underwriters. Each part of the country is different, so it would make sense to let the underwriters become knowledgeable about their region.

Of course, if the agent is new, he might not have the pull to get an underwriter to make an exception.

The only reason I was willing to consider another SF agent is due to a comment made by our current agent that it wasn't his decision but that of his underwriters.

He was telling you the truth. He can't just go in and give you a discount or ignore accidents, that's not his call. In fact, to do so would be insurance fraud.

With respect to underwriters, even if you used an agent that had a different underwriter, they would have the same underwriting guidelines.

If you're mad at the agent about the comment, that's misplaced anger. Maybe you don't like that he smokes, maybe you don't like his shirt, maybe you don't like the way he look at you, but the underwriters are the ones making the call, not him.

Back