New Agent trying to find an Agency that wont lie

melisa faupel

Job postings for Insurance Agent read:
40-65k a year base salary plus commissions!
Health Insurance
PTO

So, I have called several of these Agencies, and they ALL lie. Tell me they don't give their agents health insurance and that I would start out at about 32k.

32K? I can make that working at Target. And Target has health Insurance. What gives?

Why are all of these Agency Owners advertising a job with their agency (on Indeed, Glassdoor, ZipRecuriter) for 40k base and health insurance and then denying they posted that in their job description? Hey buddy, I have it printed out and can read quite clearly. You posted a job for 40k plus benefits. And now you're denying it.

One right after the other. Several phone calls to both State Farm and Allstate agencies. They all are giving me a snow job. Or tell me they want an interview on ZOOM and it turns out to be a massive group interview, when they lead me to believe it was a 1 on 1 interview. These Agencies seem to be doing a bait and switch. Several of them. Ive called and talked to over 15 Agencies.

Ive ordered $300 books and spent $140 reserving my State Test times, a week of studying almost 40+ hours, excited to start a new career only to start hunting prospective employers and have all of their job descriptions be super inflated lies. How is that even legal? Don't they see how slimy that makes them look?

I feel like Ive wasted my time, my money. And now am totally disillusioned. Am very frustrated about my money being thrown down the garbage shute and dont trust Insurance Agents now. Is there no integrity in this industry? Is lying a prerequisite for being an agent? I really needed this to work out. I NEED a job super badly. Not just a job, but a career. What the heck have I fell into?

Why do you put a job description for 40K with health benefits and then when I call about the job, the Agent Owner lies and says thats not what the job description says. Or that you COULD MAKE up to 40-65k plus commissions. Why do they lie? I can read, ya know. And your job description SAYS very clearly 40k with health benefits. Is this just an Atlanta Georgia Agent Owner pathological liar problem or are the Agent Owners all over the Country complete liars with this same bait and switch Job description?

Are you looking for a job? Or are you looking to become an agent/entrepreneur? They are two very different things. From reading your posts, you sound like you're looking for a job?

In the insurance industry... there is NO salary, unless you're working for another agent.

Here's my Monopoly Guide to New Life Agent opportunities:

Here's my guide to "interviewing the interviewer":

But my guess... this isn't for you. This is a commissioned and results oriented industry. At least they're not saying 6-figures, so I'll give them that.

Job postings for Insurance Agent read:
40-65k a year base salary plus commissions!
Health Insurance
PTO

So, I have called several of these Agencies, and they ALL lie. Tell me they don't give their agents health insurance and that I would start out at about 32k.

32K? I can make that working at Target. And Target has health Insurance. What gives?

Why are all of these Agency Owners advertising a job with their agency (on Indeed, Glassdoor, ZipRecuriter) for 40k base and health insurance and then denying they posted that in their job description? Hey buddy, I have it printed out and can read quite clearly. You posted a job for 40k plus benefits. And now you're denying it.

One right after the other. Several phone calls to both State Farm and Allstate agencies. They all are giving me a snow job. Or tell me they want an interview on ZOOM and it turns out to be a massive group interview, when they lead me to believe it was a 1 on 1 interview. These Agencies seem to be doing a bait and switch. Several of them. Ive called and talked to over 15 Agencies.

Ive ordered $300 books and spent $140 reserving my State Test times, a week of studying almost 40+ hours, excited to start a new career only to start hunting prospective employers and have all of their job descriptions be super inflated lies. How is that even legal? Don't they see how slimy that makes them look?

I feel like Ive wasted my time, my money. And now am totally disillusioned. Am very frustrated about my money being thrown down the garbage shute and dont trust Insurance Agents now. Is there no integrity in this industry? Is lying a prerequisite for being an agent? I really needed this to work out. I NEED a job super badly. Not just a job, but a career. What the heck have I fell into?

Do you want a Job, or do you want to be an Independent Agent?

Do you have money put back to live on for 3 to 6 months while you learn the business?

Do you have the drive to work hard 4 days a week when you have to and enjoy long weekends when you can?

I'm in Georgia. What part are you in?

Why are all of these Agency Owners advertising a job with their agency (on Indeed, Glassdoor, ZipRecuriter) for 40k base and health insurance and then denying they posted that in their job description?

Its so hard to recruit they have to resort to bait and switch and misrepresentation to recruit they feel.

Or tell me they want an interview on ZOOM and it turns out to be a massive group interview, when they lead me to believe it was a 1 on 1 interview.

People looking for jobs have very little protections. These types of lies are prevelant for job seekers. I really think more protections need to be put in place to prevent these types of things.

ordered $300 books and spent $140 reserving my State Test times, a week of studying almost 40+ hours, excited to start a new career only to start hunting prospective employers and have all of their job descriptions be super inflated lies. How is that even legal? Don't they see how slimy that makes them look?

Its a long way to the top if you want to Rock N Roll (sell insurance)

Is there no integrity in this industry? Is lying a prerequisite for being an agent?

You have to separate the recruiting that goes on and it goes on in every industry. I think its wrong and needs to be changed. However as an agent we are under much stricter standards when dealing with our prospects and clients. I feel the same standards we are under the recruiters for these "jobs" should be under. Usually the bad apples get weeded out when we are talking about selling insurance to prospects/clients.

I really needed this to work out. I NEED a job super badly. Not just a job, but a career. What the heck have I fell into?

This is more of a business than a job. Most people who want a job would not be a good fit for this type of career. The goal should be to get some experience and then get out on your own.

Last edited:
Back