Newsletters

We tried the newsletter packed with useful insurance articles and then an issue with mostly general info., puzzles, assorted trivia, etc and it was an immediate hit. Now I've subscribed to the lazyass newsletter that someone else writes, I can edit in my thoughts and articles and even add some insurance stuff. I proof it,put my pictures in it, email it to the printer and someone else prints, folds, mails and puts it in my clients hands.
STORIES AND ART FOR EDITORS OF NEWSLETTERS

Good luck with yours, we've had a great time with this and made a good bunch of sales in the process.

I think there is a middle road here somewhere.

Sure, you want to make the newsletter interesting and sure, you want to keep your name in front of people.

But keep in mind you want more from a newsletter than just getting it read. That is a definite must, granted. But isn't the bottom line purpose that you want them to feel comfortable about buying something from you because a) you have a level of credibility and b) you have helped build a personal connection through your newsletter?

I would rather have 500 newsletters go unread but have one sale than have 501 newsletters read with no sale.

One other question, does anyone put an advertisement insert in their newsletter. I was thinking about asking some local businesses that I use such as realtors, mortgage companies, used car lots, restaurants, cleaners, ect to buy some advertising/coupon space on a one page insert. I am sure I couldn't charge much but any little bit helps right and I also thought it might help with the referrals. Let me know what yall think.

We don't take advertising $$, but we have a "spotlight on business" section in each newsletter and do a photo and resume on one of our clients business, sometimes we offer to put a coupon in for that person. I personally think that might be counterproductive to solicit business for paid advertisers in "your" newsletter. If I wanted to sell advertising, I'd sell advertising.

We also have a section in there that lists our clients of the month... epople love to see their own name in a publication. These are simply the folks that got a $10 gas card or a $50 gift card for sending us a referral.

We don't take advertising $$, but we have a "spotlight on business" section in each newsletter and do a photo and resume on one of our clients business, sometimes we offer to put a coupon in for that person.

We also have a section in there that lists our clients of the month... epople love to see their own name in a publication. These are simply the folks that got a $10 gas card or a $50 gift card for sending us a referral.

Fantastic! This is great marketing stuff.

That is good. The more interactive your newsletter, the more people will interact back with you -which is where the business comes from. If people think their own picture might be in a newsletter, they will certainly be more inclined to read it.

Even if it is a picture of someone they may know, it makes it interesting. I sometimes scan the faces on the society page just to see if there is a friend in there.

Many studies have shown that a human face draws attention much more than any other graphic. That is why (test this yourselves) any ad, even small ones, in the newspaper are five times more likely to be noticed if there is a photo of a face then if there is not.

Of course, that is why it is essential that your own face be on the top left of a newsletter.

Thanks for the info Tim. Thats a nice e-newletter. Do you send out a newsletter via snail mail as well. Where do you get your content?

We don't send snail mail. Most of our clients are internet savvy and have email.

I receive about 1000 emails within a month and anytime I find something that is interesting I save it in a file on the desktop and copy and paste it there for the next month articles.

I am not sure if the newsletter gets opened or even read by my clients. But just getting my agency name in their inbox is good enough for me. It is just another "TOUCH"

We "TOUCH" the clients with the newsletter once a month, referral contest email twice a month. The more times we "TOUCH" a client the better chance they will "TOUCH" us back.

My main goal for my newsletter is retention. Then of course referrals. I'm a p&c agent. My newsletter is only going out to current clients. I'll have an insurance tip of the month and some basic reinforcement to come in for an insurance review and such. But what I want to happen is for the client to read it because it has fun stuff in it and personalized stuff in it. Someone wins movie tickets and when a friend asks what are you doing tonight, the answer will be "going to the movies. I won movie tickets from my agent". The friend will say, "hey... my agent doesn't do that, maybe I shoud get a quote."

Back