OH: Looking for new company to appoint with.

I am looking for carriers as well. I've been active on the life and health side for 6 years, but there is a lot of uncertainty there on the health side and lots of compliance so I got my P & C license last year. I am also looking for carriers (in TN). I hear that Erie is not opening more offices in my area. Cincinatti didn't want to open me up as a skratch agency either. I am talking to the local rep for Encompass...any feedback on them? From what I think I have put together they would be a good match for my Medicare Supplement clients (upper middle income). I also have a good bit of lower income Medicare business which might be substandard on auto (maybe Dairyland is a fit there?) What company would be good for smaller, older homes and older cars for lower income people?

We had a rep from Encompass here in our office. We are considering their contract. They seem to have a lot to offer in our area.

Have you heard of Frankenmuth Insurance? They were in our office as well looking for a contract. The are a consideration for us as well.

Are you trying to get direct appointments by yourself or you considering to join a cluster or aggregator? I hear if you get appointments by yourself it is tough as the carrier wants to see your production numbers. If you join a cluster you can get those appointments w/o ever meeting the carrier and hoping they will pick you up.

We have looked into some aggregators like Keystone, but it wasn't an option for our area. Do you have any others you'd recommend for us to look into?

As far as direct appointments we have done that in the past with book rolls. This time it's a little bit different as we are just in need of another personal lines carrier. We have potential to do another book roll, but we aren't quite ready to let that company go yet. We are just trying to be ahead of the game.

So far its a little bit of both. I have found a couple of local independents I know and I'll work with them as I learn the business. I am trying to focus my business on carriers that either I am direct with or they are direct with. Some carriers have actually appointed me direct knowing I will have these guys working alongside me so I don't screw stuff up. I also try to be really straightforward, explain this is a new line for me, it won't be my main thing, etc. But I also let them know I have access to their company one way or the other and I would prefer to be direct. So far so good.

We have looked into some aggregators like Keystone, but it wasn't an option for our area. Do you have any others you'd recommend for us to look into?
Look up Insurance Soup. Both of those guys are great and they have some opportunities for agents. It is called CIA or Career Independent Agents. I heard wit them there are good carriers for Ohio

Back