Older Beat Up Needs Advice

Hanshi

Hello I could use some advice.

I have been out of work for 12 years do to severe injuries however I'm ready to comeback. However I'm going to be 48 (look Ten years younger) so need to make whatever I do count when I start so not alot of time for trial and error.

I have no insurance experience however have over 10 years of experience in Sales and as a Sales Manager with General Manager experience . I sold intangibles the majority of the time. I also have a 4 year degree in Business as I see some of the Captives prefer this.

I would need to make an income to be able to pay the bills and I know Captives can help in the beginning.

It may be possible my Disability could carry over for the first 9 months I'm back working or even longer if my initial earnings are below 800.00 a month.

I of course living on small disability for so long don't have much saved.

I appreciate any and all advice, thank you

Which line of business? Property & Casualty or Life & Health?

This is a prospecting business. That generally requires mobility. Will your disability hamper your ability to meet with people in their homes? Or will they need to come to see you in an office?

How do you see yourself prospecting to meet with people? I can only assume that you're going to want to "smile and dial"?

I'm sorry P&C and if getting licensed to sell the others can make more money on top of it I'm more than open.

I have no aversion to dialling the phone, driving to meet clients or whatever would be the most profitable.

Lol however after 3 major MVA's I just have bad luck on the road.

Well, I'm not in P&C, so I can't advise you specifically. I can only tell you to search out Farmers, State Farm, and Allstate and get a REAL sense of what they're like through the posts on the forum, rather than just "assuming" everything the recruiter says is true.

Hanshi

I dont want to discourage you however, insurance companies like to see 4 year degree because it means larger natural market. There is zero correlation to having a 4 year degree and success in the insurance world. You can not study insurance sales from a textbook and be successful. I also dont see the disability as a major issue. It will probably help because it could be a conversation starter. If you cant drive you can still sell FE and medical supplements on the phone. You can also sell term insurance.

Hello I could use some advice.

I have been out of work for 12 years do to severe injuries however I'm ready to comeback. However I'm going to be 48 (look Ten years younger) so need to make whatever I do count when I start so not alot of time for trial and error.

I have no insurance experience however have over 10 years of experience in Sales and as a Sales Manager with General Manager experience . I sold intangibles the majority of the time. I also have a 4 year degree in Business as I see some of the Captives prefer this.

I would need to make an income to be able to pay the bills and I know Captives can help in the beginning.

It may be possible my Disability could carry over for the first 9 months I'm back working or even longer if my initial earnings are below 800.00 a month.

I of course living on small disability for so long don't have much saved.

I appreciate any and all advice, thank you
You are just a young'un.. Many good years ahead of you and certainly not too late to start a new career... Harlan Sanders started KFC at age 65..

I appreciate all of the advice, comments etc. After being off of work for almost a decade and a half it's very scary to put myself back out there and to hope my body can even do it.

I'm one who is NOT taking advantage of the system. Went from decent six figures to Disability was not a easy choice but broke my back, lost feeling on one side and arm mobility. Lucky I can hide it to appear somewhat normal and most people have no idea.

I know going door to door won't work for me.

I'm willing to put in the hours again and I'm not afraid of the phone.

There are so many avenues to think about AAA even has one where they pretty much license you in every state to be an order taker for P and C but it gives options.

I appreciate all of the advice, comments etc. After being off of work for almost a decade and a half it's very scary to put myself back out there and to hope my body can even do it.

I'm one who is NOT taking advantage of the system. Went from decent six figures to Disability was not a easy choice but broke my back, lost feeling on one side and arm mobility. Lucky I can hide it to appear somewhat normal and most people have no idea.

I'm willing to put in the hours again and I'm not afraid of the phone.

There are so many avenues to think about AAA even has one where they pretty much license you in every state to be an order taker for P and C but it gives options.
Wishing you the very best of luck.. :)

That's okay. Knowing our own limitations is part of figuring out this business.

That will mean more phone work... and people are generally more rude over the phone than in person. Certainly not impossible to succeed. Just keep this phrase in mind: "Make up in numbers (activity) for what you lack in skill (or ability)."

You are just a young'un.. Many good years ahead of you and certainly not too late to start a new career... Harlan Sanders started KFC at age 65..

Now there is a great American hero!!

Can you imagine what kind of graduates we could send out in the work force if we had a class called "Grind & Grit" that studied folks like Mr. Sanders?

Back