Overcoming rejections or objections

When you want (need) the sale more than they want to buy your product... you have a problem. They will sense your NEED and back away.

Well said. If you want it more than they do, there's a problem.

This week I knocked at least 30 doors and presented twice. I am so tired of hearing "I made a mistake" or "the card was misleading" when I asked why they returned the card. Over 100 leads each from 2 counties now and haven't made any money in months. Time to regroup and do something different.

Let me ask you this: Why would you ask a question that would GUARANTEE you a rejection at the door?

If you want a different result, ask a different question. You may want to consider an alternative choice question. "Most people complete these because of a) ______ or b) _________ and sometimes it's something else. May I ask you what it was about the card that caused you to complete it?"

I know this is more of an FE thing, so you may want to ask in the FE forum.

Fine. You don't have to believe me. You can read about a big annuity producer who does this.

Mike Volner pushes away prospects ... yes, really: he's a super annuity producer. By the end of this year he'll have brought in more than $20 million in production for the fourth consecutive year. The catch is Mike Volner has done this while turning business away. - Free Online Library

The PUSH AWAY leads to committed clients

"This (push away) strategy came about when I realized I was using lots and lots of energy trying to convince people to do something," Volner says. But when he would ask people seemingly negative questions about their financial decisions, it either removed the doubt they had or both parties realized this product wasn't the right fit for them. "Many people have commented to me they love the way I did not push them into anything. It's a great feeling. This tends to result in solid decisions that don't go backward."

However, once both parties do see eye-to-eye on the product, they become like family, and, Volner says, he's in it with them for the long haul. One of his favorite stories is the fable of "The Tortoise and the Hare." When you walk around Volner's office you don't see many hares. Quick sales are not in his business model.

As he tells me, "I don't do things that I don't really, really believe in. And, something that I really believe in is the message from 'The Tortoise and the Hare.' Now, the hare, he was really fast, but the tortoise won the race. Slow and steady won the race.

"That's what I do. That's what I've been doing for the last 34 years--I've been helping people slowly and steadily win their financial race, one person at a time, one client at a time and so far, it's worked out pretty well."

Last edited:
Back