• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Paid Lead Threatened to Sue Me!

EB34

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I recently purchased leads from Stellar Prospects. Realizing these are "aged" leads, I went through them very quickly, with some success. However, one paid lead became very abrasive with me when I introduced myself. He told me that he already had plenty of life insurance, he was on the do not call list, I was being recorded, and he would sue me. I have all of his information including birthday, email, cell phone, desired coverage, and also the date in which this information was obtained. I do not see how this information could've been obtained unless he or someone in his household gave it out willingly. The lead was only a month and a half old. Could I be in any trouble?

I recently purchased leads from Stellar Prospects. Realizing these are "aged" leads, I went through them very quickly, with some success. However, one paid lead became very abrasive with me when I introduced myself. He told me that he already had plenty of life insurance, he was on the do not call list, I was being recorded, and he would sue me. I have all of his information including birthday, email, cell phone, desired coverage, and also the date in which this information was obtained. I do not see how this information could've been obtained unless he or someone in his household gave it out willingly. The lead was only a month and a half old. Could I be in any trouble?

NO!!! First of all, it's probably illegal for him to record the conversation in the first place unless he told you first.

if it was the first time you called him, just apologize, say "i'm taking you off of my list" and move on

How many people do you know that actually record their private phone?

Go to the DNC website, type the phone number in, and see if it is listed.

JUST ANOTHER LOUD MOUTH THAT WANTS YOU TO COWER DOWN IN FEAR DOWN IN FEAR. WHAT A WEAZEL!!!

Last edited:
Probably the most effort that guy will put out is that phone conversation. Every so often you get people who just are rude. Try not to stoop down and just say sorry and end the call. Not worth your time. Some people get exactly what they deserve.

I appreciate the advice. I was very cordial to him and apologized, but he wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise so I just got off the phone. I've been hearing horror stories about the FCC, and I was a bit spooked as I'm an independent agent. Still, it wasn't a cold call, as I had all of his personal information down that I assume he submitted willingly.

The DNC list does not apply in this case as he filled out a form requesting information. Your lead is your proof and alibi.

NO!!! First of all, it's probably illegal for him to record the conversation in the first place unless he told you first.

if it was the first time you called him, just apologize, say "i'm taking you off of my list" and move on

How many people do you know that actually record their private phone?

Go to the DNC website, type the phone number in, and see if it is listed.

JUST ANOTHER LOUD MOUTH THAT WANTS YOU TO COWER DOWN IN FEAR DOWN IN FEAR. WHAT A WEAZEL!!!

It is not illegal; it is inadmissable in a court of law. Big difference.

To the OP you have nothing to worry about. Happy Advising!

What did Stellar Prospects say when you reported the lead to get a replacement?

I once (a few years ago) contracted with a company for scheduled appointments. We were supposed to just "show up" for the appointment. Well, we called in advance... and 100% of the time, there was no expectation of an appointment. One reacted rather similarly to the 1st post.

We never used that company again. Don't remember who it was.

Don't worry about that guy. He'll have no case against you... as long as you don't call him again, of course.

This is just another reason why it pays to do your own prospecting for your own leads. It's cheaper. You set the expectations. You are in greater control of the entire interaction. However, you get the brunt of all the rejection too.

Stellar Prospects worked out fairly well for me. Much better than those 12 dollar leads I usually buy. I went into it not expecting much, as most of the leads were 45 days old, since I bought them at a discount. However, I sold 2 policies with a combined a.p. of about $1500, which netted about $1100 in commissions (one was a term) out of a $150 investment. Maybe I just got lucky. My only complaint with Stellar was that the leads can only be filtered by area code, which covers a 3 hour distance in my area. I did fairly well with InsuranceLeads for awhile, and then they became crap. I have to agree with you though. Prospecting on my own is much cheaper, and I definately do have more control over the quality of people.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I didn't push the issue of getting a replacement lead from Stellar since it was only $1.50. I figured they needed it more than me.

Last edited:
Back