Parent Dead or Alive Underwriting Question

SamIam

Guru
1000 Post Club
Something thats never made sense to me on a life app. When they ask questions about your parents. How do they know if the parent has died. I have a client today never met his biological father & has no clue if the guy is alive.

But in general how would the insurance company find out if their parents are dead or alive.

the parents question on the life app are as about as close to genetic testing they can get. I have had several super preferred's lost to early demise of a parent.

But in general how would the insurance company find out if their parents are dead or alive if the client doesn't tell them the truth.

I've had a couple clients that have asked me the question & I told them I have no idea. But that sounds so stupid I would like to know for my own info.

If they died in the first two years they would check the death certificates of the parents that are listed on the birth certificates.

In my experience, I have never had one questioned. If the client did not know the parent, Did not know what they died of or said that they were alive and healthy.

If they died in the first two years they would check the death certificates of the parents that are listed on the birth certificates.
Sounds good however the Hippa form for release of information pertains to the insured. How does the Insurance company get the release of the parents death certificate?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sounds good however the Hippa form for release of information pertains to the insured. How does the Insurance company get the release of the parents death certificate?

Last edited:
I cant believe its an allowable question.

My suspicion is that it isnt, insurors know it isnt, but will continue to ask it until they get burned for asking it.

It is their app and company. They can and do ask the question. They also determine if the answer will change the rating you quoted.

The fact its their app and their company means nothing if its an impermissible question.............see the numerous settlements AG has acquiesced to regarding same.

I dont know whether the stated question is permissible or not...........what I am saying is even if the insuror knows it isnt they'd ask it anyway until they paid damages.
It is their app and company. They can and do ask the question. They also determine if the answer will change the rating you quoted.

And not once have I ever been told to ask it nor has it ever been asked of me.

Last edited:
The fact its their app and their company means nothing if its an impermissible question.............see the numerous settlements AG has acquiesced to regarding same.

I dont know whether the stated question is permissible or not...........what I am saying is even if the insuror knows it isnt they'd ask it anyway until they paid damages.

And not once have I ever been told to ask it nor has it ever been asked of me.

Do you write underwritten life insurance!?

Back