Parent Dead or Alive Underwriting Question

The fact its their app and their company means nothing if its an impermissible question.............see the numerous settlements AG has acquiesced to regarding same.

I dont know whether the stated question is permissible or not...........what I am saying is even if the insuror knows it isnt they'd ask it anyway until they paid damages.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And not once have I ever been told to ask it nor has it ever been asked of me.

Why would it be an impermissible question? There are lots of things that are impermissible, but I can't imagine this being one of them. Not everyone knows they answer, they don't seem to get to hung up on this.....

Buy a fully underwritten life policy, you'll get asked. It's on the application.

SamIAm - There are a lot of things insurance companies don't know if you don't tell the truth. They rely on the individual to be truthful and for us as agents to sense when they are not.

Dan

Do you write underwritten life insurance!?

All day.

The question has never appeared on any application I've submitted nor on any I've had myself.

Maybe its because of my state regs, I dont know.

What I do know is even if it were an impermissible question, it'd be asked anyway until the carrier got sued over it....thats my point.

All day.

The question has never appeared on any application I've submitted nor on any I've had myself.

What I do know is even if it were an impermissible question, it'd be asked anyway until the carrier got sued over it....thats my point.

I don't know what carrier you write for but its on every app from every carrier I have seen.

I'm licensed in TN and have written business with a couple of different carriers there and I can attest that everyone I've submitted business with asked that question.

I've seen this run the gamut from completely ruining an application or two, from being much ado about nothing.

I personally have this one follow me around, as I have a parent that died young, from a heart attack no less. Despite my personal fitness, which ranks up there quite a bit, I've been knocked out of preferred plus over this. So, when it rears its ugly head, I have the ability to relate.

All day.

Who are your main carriers. Maybe we can all use them for clients with family histories?

All day.

I'm licensed in Tn. and write life applications in Tn. Every application for every company I write asks about family history with the exception of my FE applications. Even the FE companies ask the question on their fully underwritten policies.

I had a one company knock me down from on a policy for myself from super preffered to preferred on an offer because I had a sister die at age 35 from cancer.

I would like to know which companies do not ask family history.

All day.

I've written plenty of fully underwritten policies in TN with a number of carriers. Its on the app.

One of two things.

1. You're full of it.
2. You aren't doing the medical and letting the paramed examiner do it. Trust me, she is asking.

Otherwise, name carriers. Family history is the fastest way I've seen to lose super preferred with every carrier out there.

Also, every application has to be filed with the DOI. That is why many companies don't make their fully underwritten applications specific to a policy. They can reuse the app without refiling it. The DOI knows it is there and they are fine with it.

I've written plenty of fully underwritten policies in TN with a number of carriers. Its on the app.

One of two things.

1. You're full of it.
2. You aren't doing the medical and letting the paramed examiner do it. Trust me, she is asking.

Otherwise, name carriers. Family history is the fastest way I've seen to lose super preferred with every carrier out there.

Also, every application has to be filed with the DOI. That is why many companies don't make their fully underwritten applications specific to a policy. They can reuse the app without refiling it. The DOI knows it is there and they are fine with it.

1) you know not of which you speak....in my state Life apps arent required to be filed with our DOI

2) I dont ask it because no app I've ever seen has asked it....if they did, I'd ask it......its really not that hard to understand or abide by.

3) the carriers I represent don't do parameds to $250k, period

4) I feel no compulsion to "name carriers" in light of the slant of your responses

Lastly, I am from Tennessee but not a resident currently, nor do I do non-resident business there, either...so you can stop frustrating yourself trying to figger (sic) out who my carriers are and why I am not being compelled to have my clients answer the same questions you are.

My point (solely) during this thread is this:

even if the carrier were forbidden to ask history of parents, they'd do it anyway til they got clipped for doing it.

Back