PART C

midwestbroker said:
Group all depends on what they have through who.

I have a handful of people that dropped their group because their premiums got to be high (300,400 etc). I always advise them to call their plan and see if they can re-enroll later if they leave it, or can they have a MA plan with the group plan. Some groups actually encourage that.

MA vs. Supp is the usual battle. Then you have to throw Part D in there. That is always adding fuel to the fire (mass confusion). But, it could be worse. I could be selling Mega and thinking that it is great coverage!

I ran into Retirement Group plans that seem to act nearly as a Catostrophic Plan, they pick up only after 4 grand, which I have a shot then to lessen the OOP. I still maintain that selling the Part D could backfire, its something most really don't need and just adds alot of confusion at the time of the Part C sale.

Seniors must be healthy in your area. Most seniors here are paying $200 on up per month for medicine. It seems like everyone has high blood pressure or high cholesterol. Part D has helped them out. My dad went from paying $400 a month to $160 including the Part D premium. But I know each area is different.

The part D plan is build into most of the Humana plans here, so the get it all in one package.

We still have our unhealthy people out here, and that is when I pull out the supplement info out (we use Mutual of Omaha for supps). The bad thing about that is they may not qualify for the supp, so then the MA comes back into the picture.

FYI - I hear that United Healthcare is looking to expand again into more parts of the US with their MA plans. When they merged with Pacific Care, they became the largest MA company out there (Humana is #2). United just contracted with HCA Midwest here in Kansas City (one of the biggest hospital chains here in KC) , so we might have them here next year.

pfsthib said:
Seniors must be healthy in your area. Most seniors here are paying $200 on up per month for medicine. It seems like everyone has high blood pressure or high cholesterol. Part D has helped them out. My dad went from paying $400 a month to $160 including the Part D premium. But I know each area is different.

No I prefer to send them to their pharmacy, hey you guys setting up in pharmacies need some help! Many I run into already have a private drug plan which is equal or better then Part D plans can offer so no i don't advise them to switch nor do I want to play Mr. Pharmacy.

Now I have set a few appointments and once again finding Supplements cost quite high for those over 75. I beginning to think a lot of talk by some that say Supplement Insurance cost not being high in the senior senior market don't do much talking to the 80 and up crowd. In fact Advantra 1 ($95 with a MOOP of $1,000) may be a bigger seller then I thought originally compared to the Advantra 2 (no premium and a $3,000 MOOP) because of the high cost of hospital stays today and comparing that to seniors paying 2 grand or more a year for their supplements, usually you'll find this in the plus 80 crowd.

When you are dealing with the 65-70 year olds, they are not too worried about the hospital stays.

The 75+ figure that they are due for some sort of hospital stay in the near future, so the hospital co-pays become a bigger issue.

I usually ask them when was the last time they were in the hospital. And then the time before that. Depending on the answer, you can gage what plan from there.

With the avantra plans you listed, $95 per month with a $1000 max oop would make $2140 per year (if they hit the max), cheaper then $0 premium and $3K max oop.

advantra freedom 3 plan verses humana gold

Have you guys looked at the max out of pocket for humana gold this year? 5000 dollars in wyoming at least -- advantra freedom has them hands down at 3000 max out of pocket... --- thats what i am trying to educate people with -- and also the price of humana went to 59.99 a month with prescriptions --- the way i do this to switch them over --- switch to advantra freedom 3 ( its all they offer in wyoming in my counties right now) --0 premium --- then if they still want to keep silver sneakers -- stay with humana for prescription converage -- if not switch to advantra rx -- where you can do the mailorder prescriptions - b2g1f
what do you guys think?
many of the seniors here are already paying over 200 a month for their supplement... and not using the doctor but once or twice a year... its a better sale.. and saves money...
Mary in Wyoming

Humana has had that $5000 for a while now and they are getting more expensive for sure...$199/mo in my state of Delaware for the Gold Plan...no thank you.

IMHO Unicare has the best MA plan and a low $750 OOP for Security Choice plans...unfortunately they are not offered everywhere.

American Progressive is a distant 2nd although I submitted 7 apps to them two weeks ago and they can not find the apps...won't be sending them another app until they fix some internal organization issues.

That is the thing with Medicare Advantage plans. All depends on where you live as to what is availalbe.

Humana and Coventry are the 2 major players in Kansas City, and Coventry only has coverage in about 1/2 the metro counties.

However, Kansas City is a HMO / PPO market. We have the PFFS here for the rural areas, but most choose the prior two since they are cheaper then the PFFS. So, networks play a key here.

Mary, you are right. There are a lot of people who are paying a lot for supps and not using them.

I have heard from the grapevine that Medicare will go 75/25 in 2008. That will cause a bigger then usual jump in supp rates. So, the Medicare Advantage Market should have an even bigger push next year.

Do you guys have Unicare's MA plan with the MSA attached. Here in LA you get a credit card with $1200 and their deductible is $2500. So basically all they have is $1250 out of pocket. No copays, very simple. You can't hardly get a med supp for that price.

We do not have them here, but I know that a lot of these companies are expanding.

What is the premium on the Unicare plan like that?

I know that the high deductible plan F is not a hit out here.

Back