Personality Testing. Am I unemployable?

Forgive me but I was an A.L. Williams termite many years ago.

I heard Art Williams say many times that "there's never been a test designed that can look into the soul of a man and determine what he can accomplish". He was specifically talking about this very scenario.

Awesome quote.

Forgive me but I was an A.L. Williams termite many years ago.

I heard Art Williams say many times that "there's never been a test designed that can look into the soul of a man and determine what he can accomplish". He was specifically talking about this very scenario.

I also started with A.L. and still have this quote sitting on my desk.

Wrkin4christ,

I'm a pretty bright guy, I assume you are involved in ministry in some capacity.

Several years ago our church offered all members/attenders the opportunity to take the DISC Profile on our dime. It was a big help to gain some understanding in the way people are wired, and how that wiring affects their behavior in so many ways.

I think those test are extremely silly myself the point I was making is. You know what you can and can not do, you know what your abilities are. When you go take the test again, anwser the test how you think the company would want you to. nothing wrong with that in my book.

I also think judging an 18 year old on how he/she performs on the ACT/SAT is extremely silly. Heck, I was not a "stellar" student by any means I had a 3.25 gpa, but I had just happened to "guess right" when I took the ACT and made a 32 the very first time. I know people that graduated with a 3.9,4.0, that never really performed that great on the test.

The point being a "standardized test" can never really judge what kind of person you are and what your talents, strengths , weakness', and how you react to situations in life.

Everyone have a happy and safe Independence Day, or 4th of July, whichever politically correct term you prefer.

I am headed to the golf course.

Concerning personality testing I have participated in a number of these through the years and have found some very insightful. They have helped me understand myself much better as to what motivates me and why I have done some of the things that I did. The most helpful was the IOS (Individual Operating Style) from The Doma Institute. It is expensive but was different and helpful.

If I put myself in the shoes of a recruiter or a large life insurance company I can see why they use the tests. No they are not perfect but I have also found that you cannot trust a lot of what people tell you in interviews either. I have been promised the sun and moon only to find out that what was really delivered a few weeks later was a dog howling at the moon. A recruiter or GA will only spend 1-3 hours with you at the most and they have to make a decision based upon something.

To be a great salesman requires one to be something of a chameleon. Many of us read books on NLP, personality types, and such subjects so we can learn how to read, mimic, and influence the client and lead them to the decision we want them to make. We adjust our style to the style of the person we are dealing with. What is the difference in doing that and understanding and delivering what the insurance company wants on these tests. If anything it shows our intelligence, drive, and adaptability which are traits needed in the position. If we say I am not going to do this that's not who I am we may only be proving that we are not able to adjust to the job. Just another view point.

I've been in sales for 8 years. I've taken these personality tests before and have been told I've done well. Last week I failed the test at MetLife. I honestly answered questions about the importance of recognition and awards (show me the money, not a cheap trinket) if I want to have my picture taken with a celebrity (no) do I want to drive a luxury car (love my toyota truck), etc. The results said I was not aggressive enough and they did not want to interview me. I understand they have their policies. I think they should have looked at my W2's and see that I have a track record of sales success and taken that into consideration.

I took the same test at MetLife and was turned down, too. I agree: do not lie... an honest appraisal is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Secondly, I interviewed MetLife while they interviewed me. With these type questions, I knew what they were looking for, and knew what the results would show on me. (I was a graduate student in psychology and administered a number of these type tests, so I could have easily skewed the results)

I was not surprised at being turned down, and take it as a godsend. I wouldn't want to work for a company that wanted agents with those personality traits. This was reinforced by the interviewer's comments about her customers (which she alluded to repeatedly as "clowns" ). I abhorred her attitude, and knew I wouldn't want her for my manager.

I got a polite letter from her, along with my test results, telling me I was "too nice" to be an agent for them, and encouraged me to continue looking, confident that I would find a company where I would fit. That advice is really quite insiteful...

Pick a company where you are comfortable with the management style. In my case, I considered the formality of NYL and decided I didn't want to be a "suit", etc. Point is, interview them as soberly as they interview you.

.....Pick a company where you are comfortable with the management style. In my case, I considered the formality of NYL and decided I didn't want to be a "suit", etc. Point is, interview them as soberly as they interview you.

I absolutely agree with this. I did not like the local NMFN office because they are too stiff shirt.

The tests the big houses use are compared to tests that NAICS did on the successful people in the industry. The common traits (good/bad is subjective) of the most successful agents are compared to your results. The higher your score, the more similarities there are with you compared to those that have stayed in the business and done well.

I think it's a fair tool to use. Both sides should try to understand the results and make decisions with that understanding.

Different companies weed out with different score thresholds. Not qualifying at one company doesn't lock you out of another.

The tests the big houses use are compared to tests that NAICS did on the successful people in the industry. The common traits (good/bad is subjective) of the most successful agents are compared to your results. The higher your score, the more similarities there are with you compared to those that have stayed in the business and done well.

I think it's a fair tool to use. Both sides should try to understand the results and make decisions with that understanding.

Different companies weed out with different score thresholds. Not qualifying at one company doesn't lock you out of another.

You are correct. The application takes a little more thought, though. The "successful" agents may be high pressure, unethical, driven to sell regardless of the client's needs. This is often the case in many "successful" organizations that employ them. That's why I am independent.

Back