Personality Testing. Am I unemployable?

I'm curious as to what your questions were like on the "personality test?" The reason I'm asking is, I took a so called "personality test" (on-line) after a more than promising in-person interview with NYL! (I am currently studying for my license.)

I was surprised to see questions regarding my personal financial information requested on my NYL "personality test" such as how much money I owed and made each month etc. Also included were a few questions about my enthusiasm and personality traits.

Well, I answered the financial questions with zeros and said I had no money and what do you know... I get a call that I failed the personality test! What a joke! I failed the $ test I'm convinced!

I'm curious as to what your questions were like on the "personality test?" The reason I'm asking is, I took a so called "personality test" (on-line) after a more than promising in-person interview with NYL! (I am currently studying for my license.)

I was surprised to see questions regarding my personal financial information requested on my NYL "personality test" such as how much money I owed and made each month etc. Also included were a few questions about my enthusiasm and personality traits.

Well, I answered the financial questions with zeros and said I had no money and what do you know... I get a call that I failed the personality test! What a joke! I failed the $ test I'm convinced!

They use the financial questions to screen out people who are broke or in hock up to the eyeballs. No human being probably ever looks at the actual answers that you gave but instead a computer score is kick out that someone in HR looks at. Based upon certain scores they do not go further in the process. That type of question is not different than a bank looking at your debt to income ratio to decide if you can handle a loan. If you were truly interested in working for NYL you shot yourself in the foot.

When I take personality tests I tell them what I believe they want to hear without baring my soul although my profile is pretty close to what they want. I blow all of the tests out of the park. In my book answering the way they want you to answer is no different than gritting your teeth and cold calling although you hate it.

Last edited:
It's the misrepresentation that gets me! To tell someone they failed a personality test and deliberately hurt their self esteem is just unnecessary!

I really didn't understand when I was doing the test, I just thought the financial questions were none of their business at the point we were at!
:bump:
Of course I would let them run my credit had we got further with employment negotiations.

Sigh, live and learn! I'll just have to let this one go in the "everything happens for a reason" category.

Thanks!

It's the misrepresentation that gets me! To tell someone they failed a personality test and deliberately hurt their self esteem is just unnecessary!

I really didn't understand when I was doing the test, I just thought the financial questions were none of their business at the point we were at!
:bump:
Of course I would let them run my credit had we got further with employment negotiations. Sigh, live and learn! I'll just have to let this one go in the "everything happens for a reason" category. Thanks!

If you are really interested in the NYL opportunity you might try talking to the manager at the office you were interviewed at. Level with him and tell him you didn't understand and you didn't answer some questions correctly because you thought it wasn't their business at that stage of the game. Be very apologetic and ask for another chance and they might give it to you. If that doesn't work you can probably wait 6-12 months and try again. They will probably forget all about you by then. Just go on line and do the career thing from there.

Back