Phone scripts

Here's the script my telemarketers use:

“Hi, can I speak with (name on the lead?) My name is _________________ and I’m calling from the Health Solutions Agency, how are you doing today? (wait for reply.)

“The reason I’m calling is we would like to send you information on the newest health insurance plans now available in Maryland. The major companies like United Healthcare, Assurant, Aetna and Blue Cross have just issued new plans for 2007. These are plans for individuals and families. Do you have a group or individual plan?

Answer 1 – client says they have a group plan.

“I’m sorry but these are plans for individuals and families, not group. Would you still like the details sent to you in case you would like to review individual plans?

Answer 2 – clients says they already have an individual plan.

“That’s great. We’d like to get the information out to you so you can see the new plans and rates on the market.

Answer 3 – client says they don’t have any health insurance.

“Well I’d love to get the information out to you. There are many new very affordable plans now available.

Thanks, Frank.

The key to it is: Talk to people the way you'd want them to talk to you. The initial call is not the time to do a "product dump". Actually, no time is the right time to do a product dump.

Also, don't forget to BREATHE (something you will understand, if you join Toastmasters).

True. Don't try to go too far on the first call. The first call is just to generate enough interest so they want the information. You can't go over products until you do a pre-qual anyway. Why am I gonna talk about Assurant to find out they need immediate maternity? Why am I gonna talk about GR only to find they had a recent back surgery? Don't put the cart in front of the horse.

Bob,

In my former job I use to do a lot of public speaking, about twice a week. I'll never, ever forget my first time. I DID forget to breathe. Damn, it was the most horrible experience I have ever had. I couldn't talk!

Speak slow and BREATHE, where were you several years ago when I needed you? LOL

No problem, then here's what I say when I call the lead:

"Hi, I'm John Petrowski, owner of the Health Solutions Agency. You just spoke with Liz regarding health insurance quotes."

Client: "Yes, Liz was very nice."

"I wanted to introduce myself. I run a small local agency and we're experts at individual and family health insurance. First off all, I'd like to see if I can help you. Some people want to lower their rate, some want to get coverage, and some are better off where with what they have. What do you have for insurance now?"

Response 1: "I currently have a group plan." (If that's the case it's pretty much dead. My goal is not to take people off group plans.)

Response 2: "I have my own plan through Blue Cross. (Then I'll ask how much they pay. If I can save them a fair amount of money I'll continue.)

Response 3: "I don't have any coverage." (I'll ask if it's due to a health condition or money. If it's just a money concern I'll continue.)

Pitch continued:

"Well I know I probably caught you off-guard so what I'd like is for you to give me a time to call you tomorrow when you have about 15 minutes to give me. Then I can show you what's available and go over your options."

Response 1: "I currently have a group plan." (If that's the case it's pretty much dead. My goal is not to take people off group plans.)

What do you not like about taking people off of group plans? I have run into a few situations where the client was on a group plan with their spouse at his or her job and were paying more money then it would cost to have their own individual plan. Granted, the few people who I have encounted in that situation were healthy, but it made me think about targeting that market niche.

-J.R.

I'll take people off group in certain situations:

1) They're healthy sole-proprietors, no employees, who grabbed an expensive group plan because they don't know the individual market.

2) A very small healthy group where the owners are conveying they can hate the rate, everyone qualifies medically and they don't hire.

Hiring is a big deal. You can't blow up a small group plan just because everyone's healthy and you can save them a few bucks. If they use their health plan as a benefit they no longer can hire unhealthy people.

Back