Phone scripts

I will take a husband and or wife and kids off a group plan in a heart beat if it saves the family $200 plus in perm. each month and all are healthy......

In those situations listed above do you approach it from a "Ok, it is best to keep you on the plan since you employer pays some (or all) of the cost, but you will save $100, $150, etc. a month if you take off your wife and kids and put them on their own family plan."

The issue that I have experienced thus far is trying to compare the current group plan, which apparently not many people have the information on to an individual/family plan. It seems that some people have an issue with contacting their respective HR dept to get the information. What has been your experiences?

You'll get some leads where the husband's coverage is free but they're paying $500 a month for the wife and child. In those cases you had 'em at hello. Yank the wife/child off the group plan and save them over $200 a month. Nothing to think about.

The issue that I have experienced thus far is trying to compare the current group plan, which apparently not many people have the information on to an individual/family plan. It seems that some people have an issue with contacting their respective HR dept to get the information. What has been your experiences?

not at all....just had a lead(a vimo lead) we pulled the husband off her group plan for the fact that both on the group was costing $408....now if she dropped her husband her cost would be $94 mo....and her husband is a self emp. master plumber and if were to hurt himself on the job her group plan would not cover it because it is a work related injury....so him on a $2000 copay plan came to $135....so now they are paying $229 a mo. saving $179 a mo. ($2148 a year....thats his deductible in cash in their pocket) and her husband now has 24 hour coverage...all she had to do was present a statement that her husband had other coverage and he just falls off and her paycheck gets bigger...and then she tells her fellow workers ..thats why you carve out healthy self emp people off group plans....

Last edited:
not at all....just had a lead(a vimo lead) we pulled the husband off her group plan for the fact that both on the group was costing $408....now if she dropped her husband her cost would be $94 mo....and her husband is a self emp. master plumber and if were to hurt himself on the job her group plan would not cover it because it is a work related injury

I know that you have been in the business a while so I don't doubt your your stuff, but how do you know that he would not be covered under the group plan if he hurt himself? I am under the impression that normally falls under workers comp first, followed by health insurance. Even works comp is not required in Texas, wouldn't the plan pick up the bill?

....so him on a $2000 copay plan came to $135....so now they are paying $229 a mo. saving $179 a mo. ($2148 a year....thats his deductible in cash in their pocket) and her husband now has 24 hour coverage

Out of curiousity, how old is the guy. $135 for a $2000 copay is pretty good.

...all she had to do was present a statement that her husband had other coverage and he just falls off and her paycheck gets bigger...and then she tells her fellow workers ..thats why you carve out healthy self emp people off group plans....

Why does she have to present a statement. I imagine she would simply have to call up the HR dept. or whomever is in charge of adminstering the benefits and tell them that she only wants herself on the plan.

Thanks....

I know that you have been in the business a while so I don't doubt your your stuff, but how do you know that he would not be covered under the group plan if he hurt himself? I am under the impression that normally falls under workers comp first, followed by health insurance. Even works comp is not required in Texas, wouldn't the plan pick up the bill?

no....read any group plan exclusions ....you might be surprised....if a insurance co. can get out of a claim they will....I have a client that loves his Humana group plan and have to fight to make sure he has 24 hr coverage each year because they keep tying to get him off it each year and Humana stop that benefit years ago ...so far Unicare group is the only group plan that I know of in texas that covers on the job injury's and illnesses....

Out of curiousity, how old is the guy. $135 for a $2000 copay is pretty good.

Why does she have to present a statement. I imagine she would simply have to call up the HR dept. or whomever is in charge of administering the benefits and tell them that she only wants herself on the plan.

Thanks....

that one made me itch my head also....but if it made the client aware that the transfer is in writing and her check will be more next month and I get her claims paid I will have a client for life....

no....read any group plan exclusions ....you might be surprised....if a insurance co. can get out of a claim they will....I have a client that loves his Humana group plan and have to fight to make sure he has 24 hr coverage each year because they keep tying to get him off it each year and Humana stop that benefit years ago ...so far Unicare group is the only group plan that I know of in texas that covers on the job injury's and illnesses....

Looks like I have to do a bit of research into the group market here in Maryland. Regarding your client, is that a small group plan or mid-size. I was under the impression that you dabble primarily with individual health and occassionally mess with life.

that one made me itch my head also....but if it made the client aware that the transfer is in writing and her check will be more next month and I get her claims paid I will have a client for life....

That makes sense. I did not know if told her to get it into writing to offset any issue with her company and help seal the deal or if the company required her request to be in writing. Nevertheless, it looks like they got a nice deal.

I was under the impression that you dabble primarily with individual health and occassionally mess with life.

no....I have many group plans on the book as well as risk pools.....if it's in my clients best interest then we write it.....as well as life,annuity's and disability....and the humana plan...it's a 2 man group and his prem. is $1,000 a mo......

no....I have many group plans on the book as well as risk pools.....if it's in my clients best interest then we write it.....as well as life,annuity's and disability....and the humana plan...it's a 2 man group and his prem. is $1,000 a mo......

WOW, now my interest is peaked. I know you sell health via the phone, but I am curious if you do the same with life, annuities and disability? Do you actively target people for those services or do you cross-sell your existing client base?

WOW, now my interest is peaked. I know you sell health via the phone, but I am curious if you do the same with life, annuities and disability? Do you actively target people for those services or do you cross-sell your existing client base?

no....I start with health.....set them up.....then talk to them about the other area's....and it is still a tough sell but can be done.....I have ricks cabaret in houston that is about a 9 man group and have had them on the books now for about 5 years and never met with them...all done by mail and phone.....

Back